Clifford Anderson, son of Martha Robertson and Major Hezekiah Anderson, was born in Nottoway County several years before the economic crisis of 1837 . In 1845 his last parent died and Clifford was left penniless. He then moved to Macon, Georgia, where his siblings Mary Jane and William Henry, a lawyer, lived. Mary Jane Anderson was married to lawyer Robert Sampson Lanier (1819-1893) since October 27, 1840 . In 1842 their son, the author Sidney Lanier (1842–1881), was born. William and Robert met while studying at a college in Virginia. They founded their own law firm in Macon in 1849. Robert's father, Sterling C. Lanier (1794–1870), originally came to Georgia from North Carolina while building hotels along the burgeoning southern border. Clifford Anderson self-paced knowledge by reading classical literature. During this time he worked at the Laniers family hotel in the city center. He then studied law , first with his brother William and, after his death, with his brother-in-law Robert. He was admitted to the bar in 1852 after an examination before a judge at the Superior Courts of Georgia and immediately afterwards went into the legal practice of his brother-in-law. The years before were overshadowed by the Mexican-American War . Anderson was a Georgia judge between 1856 and 1858. He then sat in the Georgia House of Representatives in 1859 . After the outbreak of the civil war , he enlisted in the Confederate Army . Between 1864 and 1865 he then represented the fourth constituency of Georgia in the second Confederate Congress . After the end of the war he resumed his work as a lawyer. Between 1880 and 1890 he was Attorney General of Georgia. He died in Macon in 1899 and was buried there in Rose Hill Cemetery .
- Marquis, Albert Nelson: The Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy: First Families of America , Volume 3, Albert Nelson Marquis, 1928
- Clifford Anderson in the database of Find a Grave (English)
- Clifford Anderson on The Political Graveyard website
- Robert Sampson Lanier in the Find a Grave database . Retrieved January 24, 2015.
- Sterling C. Lanier in the Find a Grave database . Retrieved January 24, 2015.
- Anderson, Walker & Reichert, LLP ( Memento of the original from January 29, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American lawyer and politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 23, 1833|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nottoway County , Virginia|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 19, 1899|
|Place of death||Macon , Georgia|