Costers del Segre
Costers del Segre was ratified as an official wine region in 1988 and is part of the Catalan wine region in Spain . In the very west of Catalonia , in the province of Lleida, lies the 40,000 hectare Costers del Segre wine-growing region. On an initiative of the Cava group Codorníu , the cellars were built here in 1914.
Geography and climate
The Costers del Segre wine region owes its name to the Segre river , which flows through the province. The seven sub-zones Raimat, Segrià, Urgell, Pallars Jussà, Artesa, Valls del Riu Corb and Les Garrigues, into which the wine region was subdivided in 1988, are characterized by extreme temperature fluctuations, high levels of sunshine and low rainfall. Due to the continental climate , the summers in the region are very hot and the winters extremely cold.
When in 1914 the plan was tackled to create a wine region in western Catalonia, this was initially considered impossible. The soil around the estate was extremely salty and almost desert-like. As a result, several hundred hectares of healthy earth had to be poured in and an irrigation system that was ultra-modern for the time had to be laid from the Ebro , which was what made vines possible in the first place.
For the most part, the Costers del Segre area produces aromatic wines, both red and white, as well as fruity rose varieties . The best-known varieties are Cabernet Sauvignon , Merlot and Chardonnay , but also the red and rosé Garnacha Negra, Ull de Llebre ( Tempranillo ), Monastrell , Trepat, Samsó, Pinot Noir and Syrah and white wines Macabeo , Parellada , Xarel·lo , Garnacha Blanca , Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling are grown.
The two-day Festa de la Verema i el Vi takes place at the beginning of October every year . This is a kind of harvest festival for wine, with a wine show in the cellars to promote the region's wines. When visiting the wineries , the traditions of the wine region are presented as well as the agricultural history of the town.
Sights include the Raimat winery, the work of the architect Joan Rubió i Bellver from 1904, and the Bodega Castell del Remei, founded in 1780, with an old mill and distillery.
- ↑ Història. Retrieved December 3, 2019 (Catalan).
- ↑ a b c André Dominé: Wine . Ullmann, Königswinter 2008, ISBN 978-3-8331-4611-4 , p. 587 .
- ↑ DO Costers del Segre wine region. Retrieved December 3, 2019 .
- ↑ Festa de la Verema i el Vi. September 12, 2017, Retrieved November 12, 2019 (Catalan).
- John Radford: The New Spain. A complete guide to contemporary Spanish Wine. Mitchell Beazley, London 1998, ISBN 1-85732-254-1 .
- Jan Read: Spain's Wines 2005/06. 7th, revised, updated edition. Hallwag im Gräfe und Unzer Verlag, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-7742-6962-9 .
- Jancis Robinson : The Oxford Wine Lexicon . 3rd, completely revised edition. Hallwag im Gräfe und Unzer Verlag, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-8338-0691-9 .
- Jeremy Watson: The new & classical Wines of Spain. Montagud Editores, Barcelona 2002, ISBN 84-7212-087-2 .