David Eisenbud, the son of the physicist Leonard Eisenbud , studied at the University of Chicago , where he received his master’s degree in 1967 and his doctorate with Saunders Mac Lane and James Robson in 1970 ( Torsion Modules over Dedekind Prime Rings ). At the same time he also heard lectures by Irving Kaplansky there . From 1970 to 1997 he was a lecturer at Brandeis University (first lecturer , from 1972 assistant professor , 1976 associate professor , 1980 professor). From 1982 to 1984 and from 1992 to 1994 he was chairman of the mathematics department. In addition, he was visiting scholar at Harvard University (1973/74 and as visiting professor 1987/88 and 1994), the Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques (IHES; 1974/75), the University of Bonn and the Institut Henri Poincaré in Paris .
From 1997 he was at the University of California, Berkeley and at MSRI , where he was director from 1997 to 2007 and again since 2013. In between he was at Berkeley University. Since 2010 he has been Vice President for Mathematics and Physics of the Simons Foundation. From 1973 to 1975 he was a Sloan Research Fellow . From 2003 to 2004 he was the successor to Hyman Bass as President of the American Mathematical Society (AMS).
Eisenbud is a hobby juggler and has written two essays on the mathematics of juggling. He is married and has two children. In 2010 he received the Leroy P. Steele Prize . In 1974 he was invited speaker at the ICM in Vancouver (A survey of some results on free resolution). He is a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society and has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences since 2006 .
- with Joe Harris : Schemes - the language of modern algebraic geometry. Wadsworth, Belmont, California 1992
- with Joe Harris: The Geometry of Schemes. Springer-Verlag 1999
- Commutative algebra with a view toward algebraic geometry. Springer-Verlag, 1995, ISBN 0-387-94268-8 .
- The geometry of syzygies. A second course in commutative algebra and algebraic geometry. Springer-Verlag 2005, ISBN 0-387-22215-4 .
- with Michael Stillman, Daniel Grayson: Computations in algebraic geometry with Macaulay 2. Springer-Verlag 2001
- with Walter D. Neumann: Three dimensional Link Theory and Invariants of Plane Curve Singularities. Princeton, Annals of Mathematical Studies 1986
- with Joe Harris: Progress in the theory of complex algebraic curves. Bulletin AMS Vol. 21, 1989, No. 2
- with Mark Green , Joe Harris: Cayley-Bacharach theorems and conjectures. Bulletin AMS, Vol. 33, 1996, No. 3
- Eisenbud at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Laudation on receipt of the Steele Prize, Notices AMS, April 2010
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 8, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York City|