David Klemperer (medical doctor)
From 1977 to 1982 he studied medicine at the University of Bonn , the University of Cologne and the University of Düsseldorf . In his further training as an internist, he worked as an assistant doctor in general internal medicine, oncology and cardiology. From 1991 to 2001 he worked in the Bremen public health service, first as head of the Bremen-North health department and then as a consultant for questions relating to the planning, organization and evaluation of regional health care in the Bremen health authority. During this time, he completed further training as a specialist in public health and acquired additional qualifications in social medicine and environmental medicine. In 2001 he was appointed Professor of Social Medicine and Public Health at the Ostbayerischen Technische Hochschule Regensburg . He retired in 2019. His research interests include evidence-based professional practice, patient orientation, shared decision making , regional differences in care and conflicts of interest.
Klemperer is the author of the first German-language publication on evidence-based medicine and the author of the textbook "Social Medicine - Public Health - Health Sciences" (4th edition 2020). From 2009 to 2011 he was chairman of the German Network of Evidence-Based Medicine . He is active in a number of organizations and committees and advocates the orientation of health and medical care towards patient wellbeing.
Main focus of work and research
Klemperer's research interests relate to patient orientation, evidence-based professional practice, and conflicts of interest in healthcare.
- German Network Evidence-Based Medicine (Chairman 2009–2011)
- German Society for Social Medicine and Prevention (board member 2007-2016)
- German Network Health Literacy (Deputy Chairman)
- German Society for General Medicine and Family Medicine
- Transparency International Germany .
Committee activity (selection)
- Scientific advisory board of the Institute for Quality Assurance and Transparency in Health Care (IQTIG) within the scope of the tasks according to § 137a SGB V
- Scientific advisory board of AOK Bavaria
- Standing commission "Guidelines" of the Working Group of Scientific Medical Societies
- Ad-hoc working group jointly smart decisions of the working group of the scientific medical societies
- Choosing Wisely International Roundtable
- Scientific member of the advisory board of the independent consumer and patient advice (UPD) according to §65 b SGB V
- Medicines Commission of the German Medical Association (extraordinary member)
- Expert committee for transparency and independence of the drug commission of the German medical profession
- Spokesman for the patient orientation working group (Goal 11a) of the National Cancer Plan
Journal articles (peer-reviewed)
- T. Kühlein, T. Maibaum, D. Klemperer: "Quaternary prevention" or the prevention of useless medicine. In: Journal of General Practice. 94 (4), 2018.
- V. Saini, S. Garcia-Armesto, D. Klemperer, V. Paris, AG Elshaug, S. Brownlee, JPA Ioannidis, ES Fisher: Drivers of poor medical care. In: The Lancet. 390 (10090), 2017, pp. 178-190. doi: 10.1016 / S0140-6736 (16) 30947-3 .
- D. Klemperer: Conflicts of Interest: Danger to medical judgment. In: Dtsch Arztebl. 105 (40), 2008, pp. 2098-2100.
- K. Lieb, D. Klemperer, R. Kölbel, WD Ludwig (Eds.): Conflicts of Interest, Corruption and Compliance in Health Care. Medical Scientific Publishing Company, 2018, ISBN 978-3-95466-345-3 .
- D. Klemperer, C. Schaefer, M. Nothacker, I. Kopp: Social work and evidence-based guidelines. In: S. Dettmers, J. Bischkopf: Handbook of health-related social work. Ernst Reinhardt Verlag, 2019, ISBN 978-3-497-02893-1 .
- D. Klemperer, I. Kopp, M. Nothacker: Making wise decisions together - an initiative for health care in Germany? In: J. Klauber, M. Geraedts, J. Friedrich, J. Wasem: Hospital Report 2016. Focus: Outpatient in the hospital. Schattauer Verlag, 2016, pp. 219–227.
- Who is medicine really for? Interests, conflicting goals and patient welfare in the clinic. In: A. Frewer, L. Bergemann, C. Jäger: Interests and Conscience. Moral conflicting goals in medicine. (= Yearbook Ethics in the Clinic. Volume 9). Königshausen & Neumann, 2016, ISBN 978-3-8260-6071-7 .
- N. Donner-Banzhoff, H. Bastian, A. Coulter, G. Elwyn, G. Jonitz, D. Klemperer, WD Ludwig: How Can Better Evidence Be Delivered? In: G. Gigerenzer, MJ Gray: Better Doctors, Better Patients, Better Decisions: Envisioning Health Care 2020. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA 2011, ISBN 978-0-262-01603-2 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German medic|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|