Don Ed Hardy
Donald Edward Talbott “Ed” Hardy (born January 5, 1945 in Des Moines , Iowa ) is an American tattoo artist , author and designer . "Hardy was the first star tattoo artist in the mid-1970s". His works are also exhibited in museums around the world.
Born in Iowa, Hardy grew up from the age of one year in Southern California Newport Beach in the district of Corona del Mar on. He started drawing early and had his first exhibition at the Laguna Beach Art Festival. After graduating from high school, he began training as a tattoo artist with Phil Sparrow and, from 1967, studied printing technology at the San Francisco Art Institute . From 1973 he lived in Japan, where he learned from the traditional Japanese tattoo master Horihide and in 1974 he founded his own tattoo studio in San Francisco . During the 1980s he repeated his studies in Japan. There he met Horiyoshi III , with whom he published the book Tattoo Designs of Japan in 1987 and has been on friendly terms ever since.
In 1982, he and his wife, Francesca Passalacqua, founded Hardy Marks Publications . They wrote, edited and published 25 books, including the five volumes Tattoo-Time and some works of alternative art. In 1986 they moved to Honolulu and Hardy began painting, drawing, and printing again. He still runs his tattoo studio in San Francisco to this day, where younger tattoo artists continued his work and continue his style. He himself gave up tattooing in 2009.
“We were all looking for a freer society. Back then, I set myself the goal of freeing tattoos from their taboo. A tattoo doesn't hurt anyone, it's a very personal thing. So everyone should be able to have one. "
“There's a reason more people wear tattoos today than ever before. In a world where everything is going digital and religion and origin are losing their meaning, a tattoo shows who you are. "
"" I stopped because my hands didn't want to anymore. I have had arthritis for years and two artificial hip joints. As a tattoo artist you are first class for a certain period of time, but it was always bad when one of them passed its zenith. ""
In 1995, Hardy showed the exhibition Pierced Hearts and True Love at the New York Art Gallery (Drawing Center) . In this exhibition, which was a "decisive step towards improving the image of tattooing", Hardy gave a historical overview of the past 100 years.
Ed Hardy fashion label
In 2002, Hardy founded the Ed Hardy fashion label , which was licensed by Christian Audigier in 2004 . The clothes are particularly characterized by colorful tattoo motifs. In addition, accessories such as sunglasses, bags, bed linen, perfume, lighters, energy drinks and beer appeared from the series.
In Germany, the brand has now lost popularity, as the tattoo motifs and striking slogans, which are always similar, are considered styleless. The German press described Audigier as "designer proll ", Hardy said:
"I don't judge anyone for how they live and dress, but I don't wear Ed Hardy T-shirts myself."
- Bull's Eyes & Black Eyes , Hardy Marks Publications 2003.
- The Elephants' Graveyard , Frederick Spratt Gallery 2002.
- Smart art press - by Don Ed Hardy, Smart Art Press 2000.
- Tattooing the Invisible Man , Bodies of Work, Hardy Marks Publications / Smart Art Press 2000.
- Permanent Curios , Smart Art Press 1997.
- tattoo-time , ART FROM THE HEART , Hardy Marks Publications, Hawaii 1991, ISBN 0-945367-09-0
- tattoo-time 4, LIVE AND DEATH TATTOS , Hardy Marks Publications, Hawaii 1988, ISBN 0-945367-05-8
- tattoo-time 3, MUSIC & SEA TATTOOS , Hardy Marks Publications, Hawaii 1988, ISBN 0-945367-04-X
- tattoo-time 2, TATTOO MAGIC , Hardy Marks Publications, Hawaii 1988, ISBN 0-945367-03-1
- tattoo-time 1, NEW TRIBALISM , Hardy Marks Publications, Hawaii 1988, ISBN 0-945367-02-3
- Albert L. Morse: The Tattoists , 1st Edition 1977, ISBN 0-918320-01-1
- Marcel Feige : Tattoo and Piercing Lexicon - Cult and Culture of Body Art. Schwarzkopf & Schwarzkopf, Berlin 2004, ISBN 3-89602-541-4 .
- The Tuscaloosa News - December 25, 1978 (English)
- Ed Hardy with Joel Selvin: Wear your dreams - Träume, T-Shirts und Tattoos , Metrolit, 1st edition 2013, ISBN 978-3-849303075 .
- hardymarks.com ( English ) - official website.
- San Francisco Chronicle September 30, 2006 ( english )
- Culturecouture.com ( Memento from August 22, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) ( English )
- edhardytattootheworld.com ( English )
- Augsburger Allgemeine Zeitung: Ed Hardy gets under your skin - large museum show on July 13, 2019.
- Robert Taylor: Tattoo Exhibits ready to leave Their mark in San Francisco tattoos Museum celebrate work of Ed Hardy, Japanese. In: Marin Independent Journal of July 26, 2019
- Marcel Feige: Tattoo and Piercing Lexicon , p. 145
- Albert L. Morse: The Tattoists , 1st Edition 1977, p. 28
- Marcel Feige: The Tattoo and Piercing Lexicon , p. 161
- Marcel Feige: Tattoo and Piercing Lexicon , p. 313
- Tattoo City San Francisco Artists , accessed November 13, 2011.
- worldcat.org , accessed August 9, 2017.
- Marcel Feige: The tattoo and piercing lexicon. , P. 147
- Christian Audigier - He drives it colorful ( Memento of the original from October 4, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , Star website
- Once chic, now shabby - The Ed Hardy label , Die Welt - Website
|SURNAME||Hardy, Don Ed|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hardy, Donald Ed (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American tattoo artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 5, 1945|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Des Moines , Iowa|