Elimar Klebs (full name Ernst Elimar Klebs , born October 15, 1852 in Braunsberg , † May 17, 1918 in Marburg ) was a German ancient historian .
The son of an East Prussian public prosecutor and brother of the botanist Georg Albrecht Klebs studied with Theodor Mommsen and Heinrich von Treitschke in Berlin , where he received his doctorate in 1876 and completed his habilitation in 1883 . From the winter semester 1883/84 to the winter semester 1905/06 he held lectures on Greek and Roman history as a private lecturer. He turned down a call to the University of Greifswald (1881). From 1886 he was one of the three editors (alongside Hermann Dessau and Paul von Rohden ) of the first edition of the Prosopographia Imperii Romani at the Berlin Academy . The first volume he created (letters A to C) appeared in 1897. In the winter semester of 1906, Klebs was appointed as the successor to Benedikt Niese's extraordinary professor of ancient history at the Philipps University of Marburg , and at the end of 1907 a full professor. Because of a serious illness he was given leave of absence in 1913 and released from his academic obligations from 1914.
Klebs was primarily concerned with Roman historiography (including Historia Augusta ) and the ancient Roman ( Petronius , Historia Apollonii ). He also wrote articles for Pauly's Realencyclopedia of Classical Antiquity .
- De scriptoribus aetatis Sullanae. Berlin 1876, (Berlin, University, dissertation, 1876).
- On the composition by Petronius Satirae. In: Philologus . Volume 47, 1889, pp. 623-635, doi : 10.1524 / phil.1822.214.171.1243 .
- The dynastic element in the history of the Roman Empire. In: Historical magazine . Volume 61 = NF 25, No. 2, 1889, pp. 213-245, JSTOR 27596666 .
- The collection of the Scriptores historiae Augustae. In: Rheinisches Museum für Philologie . Volume 45, 1890, pp. 436-464, JSTOR 41248198 .
- The story of Apollonius from Tire. A historical study of its original Latin form and its later adaptations. Reimer, Berlin 1899.
- Old Prussian biography . Volume 1: Abegg - Malten. Elwert, Marburg (Lahn) 1941, p. 336.
- Franz Gundlach: Catalogus professorum academiae Marburgensis. = The academic teachers at the Philipps University in Marburg. From 1527 to 1910 (= publications of the Historical Commission for Hesse and Waldeck. 15, ISSN 0342-2291 ). Elwert, Marburg 1927, p. 348 f.
- ↑ see Hessisches Staatsarchiv Marburg (HStAMR), Best. 915 No. 5710, p. 319 ( digitized version ).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Klebs, Ernst Elimar (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 15, 1852|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Braunsberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 17, 1918|
|Place of death||Marburg|