Inquiry commissions (from French enquête , "investigation") are set up by the German Bundestag or a state parliament via factional working groups that are supposed to solve extensive and significant issues in which different legal , economic , social or ethical aspects have to be weighed up.
A joint position is to be worked out in a study commission. The aim is to find a solution to problems that can be supported by the overwhelming majority of the population (including the part that does not feel represented by the respective majority faction).
There are study commissions in Germany at both federal and state level. In order to set up a study commission at federal level, at least a quarter of the members of the German Bundestag must agree; At the state level there are different regulations depending on the state .
Such a commission consists of MEPs from all political groups and external experts . Both groups work in it as equal members. They are supposed to prepare decisions about extensive and significant issues. If possible, within the legislative period of its establishment, the study commission should prepare a report that will be discussed in the respective parliament . In the following legislative period, the parliament decides whether the study commission should continue its work. Your work in the German Bundestag is regulated in the Rules of Procedure of the German Bundestag . Corresponding regulations are also laid down in the rules of procedure of the states for work in the state parliaments.
Each study commission is i. d. Usually a secretariat with scientific specialists is assigned, who editorially coordinates the work in terms of deadlines and content and works on the creation of documents and publications. In addition to the usual meetings of the commission, there are also public and non-public hearings with non -investigating experts and representatives of the ministries and federal authorities.
- Right to inquire
- List of study commissions of the German Bundestag
- List of the study commissions of the Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania state parliament
- List of the inquiry commissions of the North Rhine-Westphalian state parliament
- List of the inquiry commissions of the Bavarian State Parliament
- Ralf Altenhof : The Enquete Commissions of the German Bundestag. Westdeutscher Verlag, Wiesbaden 2002, ISBN 3-531-13858-8 (also: Chemnitz, Technical University, dissertation, 1998).
- Final report of the study commission “Culture in Germany” , bound paper edition of Bundestag printed matter 16/7000 . December 11, 2007 (PDF file; 6.45 MB)
- bundestag.de: Enquete Commissions of the German Bundestag (pdf; 832 kB; 68 pages), as of October 31, 2018, accessed on November 16, 2018.
- bundestag.de: The Rules of Procedure of the German Bundestag , accessed on November 16, 2018.
- enquete-online.de: Topic portal: Results of the study commissions in 32 volumes - digitally , accessed on November 21, 2018.