Eric Rücker Eddison
Eddison attended the private school of Eton and studied at Trinity College of Cambridge . He joined the British Department of Commerce in 1906 as a civil servant. In 1938 he submitted his resignation in order to concentrate fully on his writing work.
In 1922 Eddison made his debut with The Worm Ouroboros . Because of its baroque language, this work was long considered untranslatable and was only translated into German in 1981 ( The Ouroboros Worm ). In 1926, the partially historical Viking novel Styrbiorn The Strong followed , which only appeared in German for the first time in 1996 as Styrbjörn the Strong .
In 1935 Eddison returned to the world of the worm with his novel Mistress of Mistresses (German: Die Herrin Zimiamvias ) . The novel was 1941 A Fish Dinner in Memison ( A fish food in Memison continued). When Eddison died unexpectedly in 1945, the third volume was not yet completed. His wife put together a version from the estate that appeared in 1958 as The Mezentian Gate (German: The Gate of Mezentia ).
The first translations of his works into German were hardly successful. Only the new edition of the worm in a translation by Helmut W. Pesch showed that Eddison can still cast a spell over his readers with his powerful and intense language. The worm Ouroboros is now considered a fantasy classic and a pioneer of JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings .
- Cimiamvian trilogy
Mistress of Mistresses (1935)
- English: The mistress of Zimiamvias . Heyne, Munich 1982, ISBN 3-404-30753-4 .
A Fish Dinner in Memison (1941)
- English: A fish meal in Memison . Heyne, Munich 1982, ISBN 3-404-30831-X .
The Mezentian Gate (1958)
- English: The Gate of Mezentius . Heyne, Munich 1983, ISBN 3-404-30927-8 .
- The Worm Ouroboros (1922)
Styrbiorn the Strong (1926)
- German: Styrbjörn the Strong . Bastei-Verlag, Bergisch Gladbach, 1996, ISBN 3-404-20291-0 .
- Egil's Saga (1930)
- Poems, Letters, and Memories of Philip Sidney Nairn (1916)
- Hans Joachim Alpers , Werner Fuchs , Ronald M. Hahn : Reclam's science fiction guide. Reclam, Stuttgart 1982, ISBN 3-15-010312-6 , p. 138.
- John Clute : Eddison, ER . In: John Clute, John Grant (eds.): The Encyclopedia of Fantasy . Orbit, London 1997, ISBN 1-85723-368-9 .
- John Clute : Eddison, E R. In: John Clute, Peter Nicholls : The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction . 3rd edition (online edition), version dated April 4, 2017.
- CW Sullivan III: EDDISON, E (ric) R (ucker) . In: Noelle Watson, Paul E. Schellinger: Twentieth-Century Science-Fiction Writers. St. James Press, Chicago 1991, ISBN 1-55862-111-3 , p. 234.
- Donald H. Tuck : The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy through 1968. Advent, Chicago 1974, ISBN 0-911682-20-1 , p. 154.
- Literature by and about Eric Rücker Eddison in the catalog of the German National Library
- Eric Rücker Eddison in the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (English)
- Works by and about Eric Rücker Eddison at Open Library
- ER Eddison in Fantastic Fiction (English)
- ER Eddison , accessed January 11, 2017
|SURNAME||Eddison, Eric Rücker|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Eddison, ER|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English fantasy writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 24, 1882|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nobility (leeds)|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 18, 1945|