Film Festival Turkey / Germany
The Film Festival Turkey / Germany is a German-Turkish film festival that has been taking place in Nuremberg since 1992 . The now eleven-day event, which was initially called the Turkey Film Festival, was called InterFilmFestival from 1998 and has operated under its current name since 2003, is one of the most important intercultural cultural events in Germany and is also internationally recognized.
The declared aim of the festival is “to create a common platform for discourse for cultural groups of different origins using the aesthetic and informative means of cinema. It wants to give cultural mediators from both cultures new ideas and promote exchange and cooperation between filmmakers in both countries ”.
The film festival is organized by the registered association "InterForum Art & Culture - Nuremberg international" in cooperation with the KunstKulturQuartier of the city of Nuremberg.
The main sponsor until 2013 was the Robert Bosch Foundation . In addition to the city of Nuremberg, which has supported the Turkey / Germany Film Festival from the start, the Bavarian State Chancellery has also been involved since 2003, the Federal Film Fund since 2005 and the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the Republic of Turkey since 2006 . Siemens and Keynote SIGOS are supporting the festival from industry.
In 1994, a competition within the festival took place for the first time, namely the short film competition. The documentary film competition for the “best documentary film” and the feature film competition were added later. In the latter, films from Turkey and Germany compete for the prize for the “best fiction film”, the “best actress”, the “best actor” and an “audience award”.
In addition, the “ Öngören Film Prize for Human Rights and Democracy” will be awarded to a film from the overall program .
The juries are international and in some cases prominent.
An honorary award is also given regularly. This honors artists like Mario Adorf who “have distinguished themselves in their artistic career, especially in intercultural dialogue on an international level”. The work of the award winners is incorporated into the supporting program, for example films by the award winners will be shown.
The previous honor winners were:
- 2005 Tunçel Kurtiz
- 2007 Mario Adorf
- 2008 Zülfü Livaneli
- 2009 Armin Mueller-Stahl
- 2010 Klaus Eder
- 2011 Fatih Akın
- 2012 Tarık Akan
- 2013 Türkan Şoray and Hannelore Elsner
- 2014 Edgar Reitz and Fatma Girik
- 2018 Volker Schlöndorff and Halil Ergün
The supporting program - called film landscapes - shows representative films for current German and Turkish filmmaking, as well as retrospectives by the guests of honor and panel discussions. The opening ceremony is moderated again and again by prominent filmmakers, for example in 2007 by Nora Tschirner , who was also the winner of the festival for her role in Kebab Connection (2005). In the accompanying program, the festival regularly organizes exhibitions, concerts and theater performances together with cooperation partners.
The festival itself received two awards for its work:
- 1995: Culture Prize of the City of Nuremberg
- 2006: Media Prize of the Ankara International Film Festival
- SZ interview with Sibel Kekilli at the start of the festival in 2008
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from February 12, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Archive link ( Memento of the original dated January 30, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Schlöndorff receives honorary award from Turkey Film Festival. Süddeutsche Zeitung , January 16, 2018, accessed on August 5, 2020 .
- http://www.satundkabel.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=33276&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0 ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.