Airfields ( airports , landing fields and glider airfields ) may only be created or operated with an operating license according to (1) LuftVG . In the approval procedure for airfields that require planning approval , the environmental compatibility must also be examined according to this provision . The approval of an airport is issued by the aviation authority of the country in which the site is located ( (1) LuftVZO ). In contrast to the road and railway planning approval, the operational issues are more in the foreground at airports.
There are u. a. the following major operators:
- Abertis Airports holds u. a. 90% of TBI plc.
- AENA (Aeropuertos Españoles y Navegación Aérea), the state-owned Spanish operating company and shareholder, is the largest airport operator in the world
- Aeroporti di Roma , operator of Rome-Fiumicino and Rome-Ciampino airports
- Aéroports de Paris , operator of airports in Paris ( Paris-Charles-de-Gaulle Airport / Paris-Orly Airport / Le Bourget Airport ), with holdings in Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and TAV Airports Holding as well as in Mexico, Liège , Guinea, Saudi Arabia , Jordan, Mauritius, Egypt, Algeria, Cambodia
- Airports of Thailand
- Auckland International Airport Limited, operator of Auckland Airport
- Avialliance (formerly Hochtief Airport), operator of the airports in Düsseldorf, Hamburg, as well as Athens, Budapest, Tirana
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol , with participation in Aéroports de Paris
- Berlin Brandenburg Airport GmbH
- Munich Airport GmbH
- Flughafen Wien AG , with holdings in Slovakia and Malta
- Flughafen Zürich AG , operating company of Zurich Airport , with stakes in airport operators in Latin America and India
- Fraport , operating company of Frankfurt am Main Airport , with holdings a. a. in Antalya, Hanover, St. Petersburg, Lima and Ljubljana
- Heathrow Airport Holdings (formerly British Airports Authority / BAA), operator of 4 airports in the UK
- Infraero , a state-owned company that operates 66 Brazilian airports
- TAV Airports Holding , operator of airports in Turkey, Tunisia and Georgia
- TBI , British operator of airports in Great Britain, Stockholm and Bolivia
- Aéroports du Mali , operator of airports in the Republic of Mali .
- Aeropuertos Argentina 2000 is an airport operating company in Argentina with headquarters in Buenos Aires .