FontForge under KDE
(March 14, 2020)
|operating system||Unix-like ( Linux , Mac OS X , ...), Windows|
|License||Mixture of the GNU General Public License v3 and the BSD license|
FontForge is a free font editing program for designing and editing computer fonts . It is similar to Fontographer and Fontlab . FontForge is available for various operating systems with X11 and Windows.
The program has been developed since 2000 by the programmer and type designer George Williams (* 1959) from Santa Barbara , California. The reason for the development was Williams' dissatisfaction with the then market leader Fontographer , which was bought by Macromedia in 1995 and not further developed since 1997 in favor of in-house competing products. Williams originally called his editor "PfaEdit" (abbreviation for PostScript Font ASCII Editor ). After the program was no longer limited to the PostScript format at the end of 2000, it was renamed "FontForge" in 2004.
The development of the also free GNU Font Editor was stopped in 2001 in favor of FontForge.
FontForge allows the processing of fonts in the following formats: PostScript including CID-coded fonts ( Character Identifier keyed fonts ), TrueType , OpenType including CFF ( Compact Font Format ), Multiple Master Fonts , Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), in bitmap format BDF ( Bitmap Distribution Format ), Web Open Font Format (WOFF) and others. FontForge can also be used to convert fonts from one format to another.
With its own scripting language , the FontForge functions can be used in self-written programs. This enables complex and often repetitive work processes to be automated. FontForge also offers a Python connection.
FontForge's graphical user interface is available in Chinese, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
Free fonts developed with FontForge
- ↑ March 2020 release. GitHub .com, accessed March 24, 2020 .
- ↑ Open Source Publishing: Interview with George Williams ( Memento of the original from October 3, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . May 2, 2007.
- ↑ Changelog since March 2, 2004
- ↑ Documentation of the GNU Font Editor at the Free Software Foundation
- ↑ Writing python scripts to change fonts in FontForge