François Louis de Bourbon, prince de Conti
François Louis de Bourbon, prince de Conti (born April 30, 1664 in Paris ; † February 22, 1709 ibid), also called the great Conti , was the son of Armand de Bourbons and his wife Anna Maria Martinozzi .
François Louis was Prince of La-Roche-sur-Yon until the death of his brother Louis Armand in 1685 and followed this as Prince of Conti . He had excellent spiritual gifts and was well trained. With his brother he fought on Austria's side against the Turks near Gran . At that time he referred to King Louis XIV in letters to his brother as the " king of the theater". Because of this and because of his membership in the homosexual "Confrérie d'italianisants", which also included Louis XIV's illegitimate son Louis de Bourbon, comte de Vermandois and the brother of King Philippe I de Bourbon, duc d'Orléans , he was named after his return exiled from Hungary to Chantilly .
In January 1688 he married Marie Thérèse de Bourbon , the daughter of his cousin Henri Jules de Bourbon, prince de Condé . In the war against Holland he distinguished himself on the side of Marshal Luxembourg in the victorious battles of Fleurus , Steenkerke and Neerwinden . In 1696 he had a brief affair with the wife of his brother-in-law, Louise Françoise de Bourbon , an illegitimate daughter of the king; their daughter Marie Anne may have come from him.
The king was always suspicious of him, especially as his influence on the Dauphin grew. In order to remove him from the court, he supported his candidacy for the Polish throne. On June 27, 1697, Conti was elected King of Poland, but could not prevail against August the Strong and returned to France. In the War of the Spanish Succession he was appointed Commander in Chief of the troops in Italy. Before leaving for Italy, however, he fell seriously ill and died.
Three of his children with Marie Thérèse survived him:
- Marie Anne (1689–1720), ⚭ 1713 with Louis Henri de Bourbon , Prince of Condé
- Louis Armand (1695–1727), Prince of Conti
- Louise Adelaide (1696-1750)
- Conti, Princes of . In: Encyclopædia Britannica . 11th edition. tape 7 : Constantine Pavlovich - Demidov . London 1910, section François Louis de Bourbon, prince de Conti (1664–1709) , p. 27–28 (English, full text [ Wikisource ] - here p. 28).
- Conti, 5) Francois Louis . In: Meyers Konversations-Lexikon . 4th edition. Volume 4, Verlag des Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig / Vienna 1885–1892, p. 258.
|SURNAME||Bourbon, François Louis de, prince de Conti|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||the great Conti|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Prince of Conti|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 30, 1664|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Paris|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 22, 1709|
|Place of death||Paris|