Stafford was active as a hockey player and took part in the Czechoslovak swimming preliminary rounds for the 1948 Summer Olympics. Shortly before the communists came to power, he settled in Australia and worked there as a miner, train driver and truck driver.
In 1962 he received his doctorate in chemistry and was employed by Bristol Meyers. In 1964, during a business trip to Bangkok, he met the German actress Marianne Hold , who was taking part in the filming of The Diamond Hell on the Mekong . The wedding took place after only six days. Hold retired to Rome after the birth of their son , while Strobel began his own acting career under the name "Frederick Stafford".
In the 1960s he was the star of numerous Franco-Italian agent and war films, including the series about agent OSS 117 . In 1968 Alfred Hitchcock gave him the main role of the agent André Devereaux in Topas, who got into family and political conflicts . Stafford dominated here an all-star ensemble with co-stars like Michel Piccoli , Philippe Noiret , Claude Jade , Karin Dor and John Forsythe . After that he continued to play in crime novels, especially in Italy. In 1974 he appeared again alongside his Topas film daughter Claude Jade in the crime thriller Das Mädchen aus der Via Condotti (La ragazza di via Condotti) . After this film he caused a brief sensation with his penultimate film, the werewolf thriller La lupa mannara (1977). His last film was the thriller Hold-up (1977) with Nathalie Delon .
In 1976, Stafford ended his acting career and went back to business. He died in a plane crash near Lugano in 1979. On the cemetery Witikon in Zurich, where his wife is buried, he found his final resting place.
Stafford's son, born in 1964, is the singer Roderick Stafford .
- 1965: OSS 117 - Bahia powder keg (Furia à Bahia pour OSS 117)
- 1966: Agent 505 - Beirut Death Trap
- 1966: OSS 117 - Devil's Dance in Tokyo (Atout cœur à Tokyo pour OSS 117)
- 1967: ... and tomorrow you're going to hell (Dalle Ardenne all'inferno)
- 1967: Sharks invite you to table (Estouffade à la Caraïbe)
- 1967: The golden key (L'homme qui valait des milliards)
- 1969: King Tiger in front of El Alamein (La battaglia di El Alamein)
- 1969: Stukas over London (La battaglia d'Inghilterra)
- 1969: Topaz (Topaz)
- 1972: Abuso di potere
- 1973: Metti… che ti rompo il muso
- 1973: The girl from Via Condotti (La ragazza di Via Condotti)
- 1974: The professional thing (Hold-Up, instantánea de una corrupción)
- 1975: La trastienda
- 1975: Bianchi cavalli d'Agosto
- 1976: The Death Reef (Sfida sul fondo)
- 1976: Werewolf Woman (La lupa mannara)
- Frederick Stafford in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Photo: Frederick Stafford with Alfred Hitchcock and Claude Jade at the premiere of "Topas"
- Frederick Stafford and Claude Jade in "Topas" (Topaz)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Stein, Friedrich Strobel von (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 11, 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Czechoslovakia|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 28, 1979|
|Place of death||near Lugano|