Fritz Posch (born March 30, 1911 in Wenireith ; † July 20, 1995 in Graz ) was an Austrian historian. From 1956 to 1976 he was director of the Steiermärkisches Landesarchiv and from 1962 honorary professor for history at the Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz. For many years he was a member of the State Historical Commission for Styria .
Fritz Posch came from a farming family in Eastern Styria; he attended the Episcopal Gymnasium in Graz and studied first theology, then history and German. After receiving his doctorate in 1936, he completed training at the Institute for Austrian Historical Research , which he passed with the state examination. Through Otto Brunner's mediation , he got a job as city archivist in Wiener Neustadt . After military service and imprisonment, from which he returned in 1947, he entered the service of the Styrian State Archives, which he headed from 1956.
Through his initiative and with the help of the “archive register” he developed, it was possible for the first time to systematically record all of the archive's holdings. The result of this work was the complete inventory of the Styrian State Archives submitted in 1959 . As archive director, he also set up a restoration workshop. In 1966 Posch was the curator of the Styrian State Exhibition under the title The Styrian Farmer .
Fritz Posch was a corresponding member of the Austrian Academy of Sciences from 1968 and was awarded the star , among other things, with the Cross of Honor for Science and Art and the Great Gold Medal of Honor of the State of Styria .
- Fritz Fellner , Doris A. Corradini (Ed.): Austrian History in the 20th Century. A biographical-bibliographical lexicon (= publications of the Commission for Modern History of Austria 99 ). Böhlau Verlag, Vienna / Cologne / Weimar 2006, ISBN 3-205-77476-0 , p. 326.
- Othmar Pickl : laudatory speech on real. Councilor Univ.-Prof. Dr. Fritz Posch, Director of the Styrian State Archives. In: Communications from the Steiermärkisches Landesarchiv 27. Graz 1977, pp. 33–39. (landesarchiv.steiermark.at)
- Othmar Pickl: Obituary Fritz Posch. In: Almanac of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Volume 145, Vienna 1994/95, pp. 535-544.
- Fritz Posch: Autobiography. In: Hermann Baltl et al. (Ed.): Law and history. A contribution to the Austrian social and intellectual history of our time. Twenty historians and lawyers report from their lives (= studies on legal, economic and cultural history. 14). Thorbecke Verlag, Sigmaringen 1990, ISBN 3-7995-2414-2 , pp. 197-219.
- Posch, Fritz . Publications in the bibliographic database of the Regesta Imperii .
- Literature for / about Fritz Posch (selection) on the website of the Historical Commission for Styria
- ↑ matriken.graz-seckau.at accessed on August 16, 2017.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 30, 1911 or March 31, 1911|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wenireith|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 20, 1995|
|Place of death||Graz|