|130 million DKK
|November 27, 1992
|Equal nation within the Kingdom of Denmark
The port is located on the south west coast of the main island Streymoy between the towns of Kirkjubøur in the south and Velbastaður in the north. Gamlarætt is not an inhabited place in the Faroe Islands in the true sense of the word, but a newly created port for ferry operations between the main island of Streymoy and the islands to the southwest.
When the port of Gamlarætt was built, so much overburden was created in basalt blocks that it was brought directly to Hestur to build a new pier. On November 27, 1992, the port in Gamlarætt was officially opened at the same time as the new port on Hestur.
In 2004 a feasibility study for the construction of a tunnel from Gamlarætt to Skopun was commissioned, which was presented in 2005 . At 10.6 kilometers, the Sandoy Tunnel would be the longest submarine road tunnel in the Faroe Islands. Construction of the Sandoy Tunnel is now scheduled to start in 2018. The underwater tunnel should be completed in 2021.
Passenger and ferry traffic
Strandfaraskip Landsins , the national transport company for coastal and intercity bus traffic, takes the Spógvin and Teistin ferries to the island of Hestur in the west and to Skopun , the northern port of the island of Sandoy in the south. This shortened the sea route from the capital Tórshavn , which is connected to the small port by bus route 101 .
- 60 Skopun - Gamlarætt , ssl.fo (ferry route 60 timetable)
- 61 Gamlarætt - Hestur , ssl.fo (timetable of ferry route 61)
- 101 Tórshavn - Gamlarætt - Tórshavn , ssl.fo (bus timetable for route 101)
- Gomlurætt is the bent form of Gamlarætt . The name means something like "old pen" (for sheep).
- Soleiðis sær tunnilsmunnin út , in.fo, February 22, 2016
- Eysturoyartunnilin & Sandoyartunnilin ( Memento of the original from July 14, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , landsverk.fo
- Teistin , ssl.fo