Gerhard Schulz (literary scholar)
Gerhard Ernst Otto Schulz (born August 3, 1928 in Löbau ) is a literary scholar . The emeritus professor of German studies became known as the author of two standard works on German-language literature from 1789 to 1830.
Schulz received his doctorate from the University of Leipzig and left Europe in 1959. After stays at the Universities of Melbourne and Adelaide , he was appointed to the newly established Chair of German Studies at the University of Western Australia in Perth in 1965 . In 1969 Schulz received the chair for Germanic Studies at the University of Melbourne. Since 1993 he has been professor emeritus at this educational institution.
He regularly reviews new literary publications for the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and is one of the signatories of the Frankfurter Appeal against the spelling reform .
- 1974: Goethe Medal in gold
- 1985: Federal Cross of Merit, 1st class
- 1988: Eichendorff Medal
- 1996: Research Award from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- 2004: Award of an honorary doctorate by the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg
- 2009: Award of an honorary doctorate by the University of Leipzig
- 1973: Fellow , Australian Academy of the Humanities (President 1989–1992)
- 1977: Corresponding member of the German Academy for Language and Poetry
- German literature between the French Revolution and the Restoration. Part 1. The Age of the French Revolution: 1789–1806. Munich 1983, ISBN 3-406-00727-9 .
- German literature between the French Revolution and the Restoration. Part 2. The Age of the Napoleonic Wars and the Restoration: 1806–1830. Munich 1989, ISBN 3-406-09399-X .
- Exotic feelings. Goethe and his Germans. Munich 1998, ISBN 3-406-44206-4 .
- Kleist . A biography. Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-406-56487-1 .
- Novalis . Life and work of Friedrich von Hardenberg , CH Beck, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-406-62781-1 .
- Literature by and about Gerhard Schulz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Gerhard Schulz turns 90: Australian branch , portrait in the FAZ on August 3, 2018
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schulz, Gerhard Ernst Otto|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German literary scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 3, 1928|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Löbau|