Gerhard Vohwinkel (born April 25, 1932 in Hamburg ) is a German trumpeter of Dixieland Jazz . He has long been considered one of the best German trumpeters in the traditional style. After a few years as a professional musician, he led amateur bands such as the Allotria Jazzband and the Old Merry Tale Jazzband , for which he also composed and arranged.
Live and act
Vohwinkel learned the trumpet as an autodidact at the age of 20 . Since 1954 he has belonged to various Hamburg bands, such as the Original Barrelhouse Orchestra Hamburg , in whose Skiffle Group he also worked as a guitarist. He also made guest appearances as a banjo player with Ken Colyer . Between 1956 and 1958 he was a trumpeter and arranger in Papa Bue's Viking Jazzband in Denmark, which made their first recordings with him in 1956 on Storyville Records . From 1959, back in Hamburg, he belonged to the Old Merry Tale Jazzband , which he transformed into a professional band. For personal reasons, Vohwinkel moved to Berlin in 1961, where Hawe Schneider brought him to his Spree City Stompers , with whom he could also be seen in the film Crazy and Sewn up ; In 1966 he went on a tour of Africa with his own Gentlemen of Jazz . In 1969 he founded the Allotria Jazzband , now working in Munich . In 1985 he took over the musical direction of Addi Münster's Old Merry Tale jazz band , which he held until 2012. He also performed with his combo Gerhard Vohwinkel and his Gentleman . Tom Lord recorded 39 recording sessions between 1956 and 1998 in which Vohwinkel was involved.
Vohwinkel composed pieces such as the Allotria Swing, Captain Cooper and his Crew, Kongo Jazz or the Benny Moten Jump. The ARD dedicated to his work a two-part series. In 2002 he received the Louis Armstrong Memorial Prize.
- Gerhard Vohwinkel and His Gentlemen Hallo, Mr. Dixieland (with Heinz Wolff, Enrique Crespo, Charly Höllering , Wilson de Oliveira , Achim Scherz, Helmut Hertel, Tilo Wedell , Lothar Scharf , 1973)
- Allotria Jazzband Munich The Best of Allotria Jazz Band (1986)
- Jürgen Wölfer : Jazz in Germany. The encyclopedia. All musicians and record companies from 1920 until today. Hannibal, Höfen 2008, ISBN 978-3-85445-274-4 .
- Portrait at Münster's Old Merry Tale jazz band
- Tom Lord The Jazz Discography (online January 18, 2014)
|German trumpeter of Dixieland Jazz
|DATE OF BIRTH
|April 25, 1932
|PLACE OF BIRTH