Carl Friedrich Gotthold Meutzner , modernized Karl Friedrich Gotthold Meutzner , (born April 8, 1809 in Johanngeorgenstadt ; † 1887 ) was a German high school teacher . He became known u. a. by founding a widows and orphans' fund in Plauen and his services to the grammar school.
Gotthold Meutzner came from the exile and mountain town of Johanngeorgenstadt in the Saxon Ore Mountains , where his father worked for a short time. After schooling in his hometown and at the lyceum in Schneeberg (Erzgebirge) , he studied philology at the University of Leipzig , where he became a member of the philological seminar and where he passed the master’s examination on March 8, 1832 and was awarded a Dr. phil. PhD. He then worked until 1833 as an adjunct for the Schneeberg cantor Thomas. The following year he took over his office as cantor in Schneeberg and became the fourth teacher at the local lyceum, where he stayed until it was closed. He was particularly specialized in Greek grammar and later published several publications about it, not just for school purposes.
In 1835 he became the 5th teacher at the grammar school in the Vogtland capital Plauen . In 1844 he was promoted to fourth colleague and in 1850 to third teacher. He rose to Vice Director (appointed in 1854) and later received the title of professor after completing his doctorate. He retired in 1881 and died six years later.
He was a member of the Greek Society and the Voigtland Antiquities Research Association .
He was married to Amalie Mariane nee Haas. The wedding took place on July 21, 1849.
- Ueber Horatii I. 28. , in: Annual report on the Gymnasium zu Plauen 1847/48 , Plauen 1848.
- Commentatio de Lysiae Oratione Peri Tou Sekou , Leipzig 1860.
- De interpolationis apud Demosthenem obviae vestigiis quibusdam . In: Program of the Gymnasium and Realschule I. order to Plauen i./V. Plauen, Moritz, Wieprecht, 1871.
- On Dionysius of Halicarnassus , In: Jahrbücher für Klassischen Philologie 125, 1882, pp. 249-271.
- Wilhelm Haan : Saxon Writer's Lexicon , 1875, p. 215.
- W. Issleib: History of the Cantors and Organists of the Cities in the Kingdom of Saxony , 1899, p. 301.
- Entry on Gotthold Meutzner in Kalliope (with wrong year of birth)
- Plauen high school teachers founded a widow and orphan fund
- State Handbook for the Free State of Saxony , 1847, s. 253.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Meutzner, Carl Friedrich Gotthold (full name); Meutzner, Karl Friedrich Gotthold (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German teacher and philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 8, 1809|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Johanngeorgenstadt|
|DATE OF DEATH||1887|