Hans Krech (speech scientist)
Hans Krech (born July 31, 1914 in Wasungen , Meiningen district ; † April 12, 1961 in Halle an der Saale ) was a German speech scientist , phonetician and speech therapist . He was the first qualified representative and the first holder of a professorship with the denomination of Speech Science in Germany. From 1952 to 1961 he was director of the Institute for Speech Studies and Phonetic Collection at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg .
Krech did his Abitur at the Goetheschule in Ilmenau and was subsequently drafted into the Reich Labor Service . Then Krech studied musicology, German, pedagogy and speech at the University of Halle. In 1941 he received his doctorate with a thesis on " Julius Hey and his singing ideal, German singing lessons" ".
From 1949 he was employed at the Institute for Speech Studies , whose director he became after the death of his teacher Richard Wittsack in 1952. Krech founded Orthoepie research in Halle. In 1954 he completed his habilitation with a thesis on the "treatment of disturbed S-sounds". In 1958 he was appointed Professor of Applied Phonetics and Speech Therapy. In the same year he initiated a working group for a “pronunciation dictionary of general German high accents”. In 1960 Krech was appointed to the first chair for speech science in Germany.
Krech was married to Waltraud Krech-Pfaffe from December 18, 1952. The historian Hans Krech (* 1956) is his son. In his second marriage, Hans Krech was married to the speech scientist Eva-Maria Krech .
- The treatment of disturbed S-sounds. Linguistic contributions to the therapy of sigmatism , Marhold, Halle 1955
- Speech disorders. Volk und Wissen publishing house, Berlin 1957
- Introduction to German Speech Studies. German publisher d. Sciences, Berlin 1959
- Contributions to Speech Science. Edited by Eva-Maria Krech.
- Works from the University and State Library of Saxony-Anhalt, Volume 43, Edition 1, p. 167 
- List of selected professors on the website of the University of Halle
- Eva-Maria Krech u. a .: German pronunciation dictionary. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2009, Section A. 2 History, principles and methods of pronunciation regulation in Germany , p. 12.
- André Hüttner: On the development of linguistic phonetics at the University of Halle (Saale) until 1961. Frank & Timme, Berlin 2019.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German speech therapist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 31, 1914|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wasungen , Thuringia|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 12, 1961|
|Place of death||Halle on the Saale|