Dember was a graduate of the Mansfeld high school. He studied physics at the University of Berlin, at the TH Göttingen and worked as an assistant at the Technical University of Dresden . The doctorate took place in Berlin in 1906, the habilitation under Wilhelm Hallwachs in 1909 in Dresden. From 1909 he was a private lecturer under Hallwachs and associate professor. In 1914 he went on a research trip to Tenerife. Due to the outbreak of war he could not leave the island until 1918.
In 1923 he was appointed full professor of physics at the Dresden University of Technology, succeeding Hallwachs. As early as 1933 , the National Socialists forced him to leave the university because Dember was of Jewish descent. In 1939 his house in Altenberg was forcibly sold.
Dember then emigrated with his family to Turkey and became a professor at Istanbul University . In 1942 he traveled on to the USA, was given a teaching position at Brunswick University and died in Brunswick in 1943.
Dember was friends with Victor Klemperer . His person as well as his scientific achievements are honored with the Dember Prize at the TU Dresden; a street in Dresden's Omsewitz district bears his name.
Dember is the discoverer of the crystal photo effect , which is also called the Dember effect after him and whose most famous application is the solar cell . In 1916 he determined the Loschmidt number with an error of 7%, which was small for the time.
- Harry Dember: About a photoelectronic force in copper oxide crystals . In: Physikalische Zeitschrift . tape 32 , 1931, pp. 554 .
- Harry Dember: Via a crystal photo cell . In: Physikalische Zeitschrift . tape 32 , 1931, pp. 856 .
- Harry Dember: On the advancement of electrons through light . In: Physikalische Zeitschrift . tape 33 , 1931, pp. 207 .
- Richard Fleischer, Horst Teichmann : The photoelectric cell and its manufacture . In: Scientific Research Reports . tape 27 . Dresden / Leipzig 1932 (with an introduction by H. Dember).
- Robert Volz: Reich manual of the German society . The handbook of personalities in words and pictures. Volume 1: A-K. German business publisher, Berlin 1930, .
Catalog of professors in the university archive of the TU Dresden
- Literature by and about Harry Dember in the catalog of the German National Library
- judentum.de: Role of the Jews in the economy and culture of Saxony
- judentum.net: Harry Dember was born 120 years ago
- Harry Dember: About the determination of the Loschmidt number from extinction coefficients of short-wave sunlight with the help of a photoelectric spectrophotometer . In: Annals of Physics . tape 354 , no. 5 , 1916, pp. 599-610 , doi : 10.1002 / andp.19163540507 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 11, 1882|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Leimbach|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 22, 1943|
|Place of death||New Brunswick ( New Jersey ), USA|