Holden passed his candidate exam in 1981 and received his PhD under Raphael Høegh-Krohn at the University of Oslo in 1985 ( Point Interactions and the Short-Range Expansion. A Solvable Model in Quantum Mechanics and Its Approximation ). He was a post-doctoral student at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences of New York University in 1985/86 . Since 1986 he has been an assistant professor and since 1991 he has been a professor of mathematics at the Norwegian Technical University in Trondheim . He is also an adjunct professor in Oslo.
He deals with partial differential equations (hyperbolic conservation laws), mathematical physics, stochastic analysis, integrable systems and hydrodynamics in porous media.
He is a member of Det Kongelige Norske Videnskabers Selskab in Trondheim , the Norwegian Academy of Sciences and the Norwegian Academy of Technology and the European Academy of Sciences. He is a fellow of the American Mathematical Society .
In 2004 he was invited speaker at the European Congress of Mathematicians in Stockholm ( On the Camassa-Holm and the Hunter-Saxton equations ).
In 1996 he was one of the editors of Lars Onsager's Collected Works . Holden is editor of the Springer Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics and Technology .
- with NH Risebro: Front tracking for hyperbolic conservation laws , Springer Verlag 2007
- with B. Øksendal, J. Ubøe, TS Zhang Stochastic partial differential equations. A modeling, white noise functional approach , Birkhäuser 1996, 2nd edition, Universitext, Springer Verlag 2010
- with Fritz Gesztesy , Raphael Høegh-Krohn, Sergio Albeverio : Solvable Models in Quantum Mechanics , Springer 1988, 2nd edition, American Mathematical Society Chelsea Publishing, 2005
- with Gesztesy Soliton equations and their algebro-geometric solutions , Volume 1: 1 + 1 dimensional continuous models , Cambridge University Press 2003,
- with Gesztesy, J. Michor, Gerald Teschl Soliton equations and their algebro-geometric solutions , Volume 2: 1 + 1 dimensional discrete models , Cambridge University Press 2008
- Sturm-Liouville Operators and Hilbert Spaces. A brief introduction , Trondheim, 2nd edition 2001
- Editor with KH Karlsen: Nonlinear partial differential equations and hyperbolic wave phenomena , Contemporary Mathematics 526, AMS, 2010
- Editor with KH Karlsen: Nonlinear partial differential equations. The Abel Symposium 2010 , Springer Verlag 2012
- with KH Karlsen, K.-A. Lie, NH Risebro Operator Splitting for Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations with Rough Solutions , EMS 2010
- with VZ Enolskii, F. Gesztesy The classical massive Thirring model revisited , in Gesztesy, Holden, Jost, Paycha, Röckner, Scarlatti Stochastic processes, physics and geometry: new interplays I. A volume in honor of Sergio Albeverio , Canadian Mathematical Society Conference Proc ., 2000, pp. 263-200
- with W. Bulla, F. Gesztesy, G. Teschl Algebro-Geometric Quasi-Periodic Finite-Gap Solutions of the Toda and Kac-van Moerbeke Hierarchies , Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society, Volume 135, 1998
- with A. Jensen (editor): Schrödinger Operators. Sonderborg, Denmark 1988 , Lecture Notes in Physics 345, Springer Verlag 1989
- Editor with S. Albeverio, JE Fenstad, T. Lindstrøm Ideas and Methods in Quantum and Statistical Physics (in memory of Raphael Høegh-Krohn) , Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1992
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Norwegian mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 28, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oslo|