Horace Bolingbroke Woodward
Woodward was the son of Samuel Pickworth Woodward (1821-1865) and nephew of Henry Woodward . In 1863 he became assistant to the secretary HJ Jenkins of the Geological Society of London and was from 1867 on the Geological Survey of Great Britain (at the invitation of Roderick Murchison ). He later headed the Geological Survey in London under Archibald Geikie from 1893 and became Deputy Director of the Survey for England and Wales. During this time he was mainly occupied with administrative tasks. In 1908 he retired.
During the Geological Survey, he mapped various areas of England, for example in Devon, Somerset and Dorset, in the London area and in the Norfolk area, which was already the subject of geological surveys by his grandfather Samuel Woodward . He was also President of the Local Geological Society and the Naturalist's Society in Norwich. Another focus was the participation in the mapping and processing of the Jura in Great Britain, where he mapped among other things in Scotland ( Skye , Raasay , where he discovered iron ore deposits).
He wrote several books, for example, on the geology of Great Britain (including an atlas), hydrogeology and the history of geology.
In 1896 he became a Fellow of the Royal Society . In 1893/94 he was President of the Geologist's Association and from 1904 to 1906 Vice President of the Geological Society of London . In 1909 he received the Wollaston Medal .
- Geology of Norwich, Fakenham, Wells and Holt
- The geology of water supply, London 1910, online
- The geology of England and Wales: a concise account of the lithological characters, leading fossils, and economic products of the rocks; with notes on the physical features of the country, Longmans, Green and Co., Online
- Editor of Andrew C. Ramsay : The physical geology and geography of Great Britain: a manual of British geology, 6th edition, London 1894
- Collaboration on The Jurassic rocks of Britain , Geological Survey, HM Stationery Office, 5 volumes 1892–1895 (he was involved in three volumes)
- History of Geology, London, New York (Putnam's) 1911, Reprint New York 1978 Online
- The geology of soils and substrata: with special reference to agriculture, estates, and sanitation, London 1912, online
- Soils and subsoils from a sanitary point of view; with especial reference to London and its neighborhood, London, HM Stationery Office, 2nd edition 1906
- Geology of East Somerset and the Bristol coal-fields, London, HM Stationery Office 1876
- Stanford's geological atlas of Great Britain and Ireland, 2nd edition, London, E. Stanford 1907, 4th edition 1925
- The history of the geological society of London, London, Geological Society 1907, Reprint, New York 1978 Online
- Obituary Horace B. Woodward (Geological Magazine, Decade VI, vol. 1, no.597, March, 1914, English, accessed August 5, 2012)
|SURNAME||Woodward, Horace Bolingbroke|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British geologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 20, 1848|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||London|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 6, 1914|
|Place of death||London Croydon|