How Dare You!
|How Dare You!|
|Studio album by 10cc|
|Label (s)||Mercury Records|
MC, LP, CD
42 min, 53 sec
How Dare You! is the fourth album by the British band 10cc and was released in January 1976.
It was the last 10cc album with this line-up. Kevin Godley and Lol Creme were working on their own musical project Godley & Creme and soon after became the first music video pioneers. The album cover was designed by the Hipgnosis team.
The album reached the top of the LP charts in Great Britain and was in the top 10 for 14 weeks. In the USA, the album only landed at number 47 in the LP charts.
First, Art For Art's Sake was released as a single. The record peaked at number 5 in the UK and only numbered 83 in the US.In early 1976, I'm Mandy Fly Me was released as a single, reaching number 6 in the UK and 60 in the US.
Robert Christgau harshly criticized the album, which he accused of “rot”, and 10cc never knew whether they wanted to be funny or just beautiful, which in nine out of ten cases means that they are not both.
- How Dare You (Kevin Godley, Lol Creme) - 4:14
- Lazy Ways (Creme, Eric Stewart) - 4:20
- I Wanna Rule The World (Godley, Creme, Graham Gouldman) - 3:57
- I'm Mandy Fly Me (Stewart, Gouldman, Godley) - 5:24
- Iceberg (Gouldman, Godley) - 3:43
- Art For Art's Sake (Stewart, Gouldman) - 5:59
- Rock 'n' Roll Lullaby (Gouldman, Stewart) - 3:58
- Head Room (Godley, Creme) - 4:21
- Don't Hang Up (Godley, Creme) - 6:16
- Art For Art's Sake (Single Edit)
- Get It While You Can
- I'm Mandy Fly Me (Single Edit)
(Titles 10 - 12 are bonus titles and come from the Japanese edition)
- Graham Gouldman - vocals, bass, guitar, percussion, glockenspiel
- Kevin Godley - vocals, drums, percussion, timpani, congas, bongos
- Eric Stewart - vocals, guitar, piano, bass
- Lol Creme - vocals, guitar, moog, piano, percussion, organ, clavinet, recorder, vibes
- Mair Jones - harp
- US catalog number Mercury 1061
- Ehnert, Günter (Ed.): Hit Records. British Chart LPs 1962-1986 . Hamburg: Taurus Press, 1987, p. 123
- Whitburn, Joel: Top Pop Albums 1955-1996 . Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Ltd., 1996, p. 773. Deviating from this, place 52 is named in Ehnert, Günter (ed.): Hit Guide. US Chart LPs 1962-1986 . Hamburg: Taurus Press, 1990, p. 218
- Fowler, Anne / Fowler, Pete: Chart Log of British Top 30 Singles 1967-1977 . In: Gillett, Charlie / Frith, Simon (eds.): Rock File 5 . Frogmore, St. Albans: Granada Publishing Ltd., 1978, p. 140
- Whitburn, Joel: Top Pop Singles 1955-1993 . Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin: Record Research Ltd., 1994, p. 595
- Christgau, Robert: Rock Albums Of The 70s. A critical guide . New York City, New York: Da Capo Press Inc., 1981, p. 393