Brunner graduated from high school in Kassel in 1872 . He began to study law at the Philipps University of Marburg and in 1873 he became a recipient of the Corps Hasso-Nassovia . After inactivation , he switched to studying philology and history at the University of Leipzig and the Westphalian Wilhelms University of Münster . After graduating, he taught higher education for eight years. In 1887 he was appointed librarian at the state library in Kassel . In 1891, Brunner wrote the much-noticed Hessian history in 16 volumes. In 1900 he was promoted to senior librarian and in 1912 to director of the state library. In 1910 he was awarded the title of professor. From 1892 to 1901 Brunner was chairman of the Association for Hessian History and Regional Studies .
On the occasion of the 1000th anniversary of the city of Kassel, an important history of the royal seat of Kassel was published in 1913 on behalf of the Magistrate of the city of Bruners: 913–1913 . As a historian, he devoted himself to the regional history of North Hesse in his late work. As a poet, he combined many regional legends and localities in poems, for example in the poem Kaiser Karl im Odenberg .
Street names in Kassel, Guxhagen and Gudensberg are reminiscent of him. Since 1994 he has also been commemorated with a plaque at the old cemetery in Gudensberg, where he was buried.
- History of the royal seat of Cassel: 913–1913 , Cassel, 1913
- Gudensberg, Castle and City and the County of Maden , Edmund Pillardy, Cassel, 1922
- Emperor Karl im Odenberg (poem)
- The activities of France and other powers to overthrow the religious ordinance of Hereditary Prince Friedrich von Hessen-Kassel in the years 1755 and 1756 , 1886
- The policy of Landgrave Wilhelm VIII of Hesse before and after the outbreak of the Seven Years' War, up to and including the Convention of Kloster Seven , 1888
- History of Hesse , 1891
- On the history of the Thirty Years War
- Notes by Pastor Johann Christoph Cuntz zu Kirchditmold from the time of the Seven Years' War (1757–1762) , 1890
- Kassel during the Seven Years' War , 1993
- Wilhelmstal , 1925
- The public loan and the bondholders ' organization , 1913
- History of the Cassel town halls: Commemorative publication for the inauguration of the new town hall of the royal seat of Cassel on June 9, 1909 ; Digitized
- Kreis Grafschaft Schaumburg , arr. by Heinrich Siebern; H. Brunner: The architectural and art monuments in the administrative district of Cassel , 1907
- Walther Killy (Ed.): German Biographical Encyclopedia . Volume 2, KG Saur Verlag, Munich a. a. O., 1995, p. 169.
- Corp panel of Hasso-Nassovia in Marburg. July 15, 1839 to July 15, 1959 . Bad Ems, Diez, Limburg 1959, p. 129.
- Kösener Corpslisten 1930, 101/357.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German librarian and historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 24, 1853|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Gudensberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 9, 1922|
|Place of death||Jesberg|