After 1956 acquired Licentiate in Classical Philology Jean-Charles Balty sat as aspirant of the Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique Belge continued his studies. In 1964 he graduated in art history and archeology, followed by a doctorate in 1968 . As early as 1963 he joined the Royal Museums for Art and History in Brussels , where he was head of the antiquities department until 1995. In addition, he was a research assistant from 1964, from 1971 extraordinary, from 1976 finally full professor of classical archeology at the Université libre de Bruxelles . In the academic year 1971/1972 he taught as a visiting professor at the University of Cologne . In 1995 he accepted the professorship for Roman Art History at the Sorbonne ( University of Paris IV ), which he held until 2003.
From 1961 to 1967 Jean-Charles Balty took part in the Belgian excavations in Alba Fucens , but began his own excavations in Apameia am Orontes , Syria, in 1965 , which lasted until the 1990s. In addition to numerous works on these two research areas, Balty's scientific interest is primarily in Roman architecture , the Roman portrait, but also Greek sculpture and Italian bronzes. Another focus is the research on ancient cult, which is reflected in his membership in the responsible editorial committee of the Thesaurus Cultus et Rituum Antiquorum .
Jean-Charles Balty is a member of the German and Austrian Archaeological Institute as well as the Istituto Nazionale di Studi Etruschi ed Italici . The Académie royale des Sciences, des Lettres et des Beaux-Arts de Belgique and the French Académie des inscriptions et belles-lettres elected him as their member. In addition, he wears the Ordre du Mérite Syria first class, is an officer of the Belgian Order of the Crown and commander of the Order of Leopold II.
As a member of the Belgian Academy, Jean-Charles Balty was its delegate in the Union Académique Internationale . He was responsible for the Belgian section of the Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum and was one of the editors of the Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae .
- Études sur la Maison Carrée de Nîmes. Latomus, Brussels 1960.
- Guide d'Apamée. Center belge de recherches archéologiques à Apamée de Syrie, Brussels 1981.
- Ordinis Curia. Recherches d'architecture et d'urbanisme antiques sur les curies provinciales du monde romain. Académie royale de Belgique, Brussels 1991.
- Portrait and society in the Roman world (= Trier Winckelmann programs. Issue 11). Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1993.
- Short biography on the website of the Académie des inscriptions et belles-lettres
- Literature by and about Jean-Charles Balty in the WorldCat bibliographic database
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Franco-Belgian classical archaeologist and ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 26, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Beziers|