University of Paris IV
The University of Paris IV was founded as part of the university reform by decree of December 23, 1970 and confirmed by decree of July 17, 1984. The reform, which was prepared by Edgar Faure ( Loi d'Orientation , 1986) and carried out after the unrest of May 1968 , aimed to split up and reorganize the five faculties of the then Paris University and the establishment of thirteen new interdisciplinary universities.
The University of Paris-Sorbonne emerged from the former Faculté des Lettres et Sciences Humaines (Faculty of Humanities and Human Sciences) of the Sorbonne , whose names and historical buildings in Paris ( 5th arrondissement ) it with the Universities of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne , Paris III Sorbonne Nouvelle shares. The building also houses parts of the University of Paris V René Descartes , the École nationale des chartes and the Chancellerie ( rectorate ).
Presidents since the foundation were the historian Alphonse Dupront , the philosopher Raymond Polin , the Hellenist Jacques Bompaire , the religious historian Michel Meslin , Jean-Pierre Poussou and Georges Molinié . The current president is the geographer Jean-Robert Pitte .
The professors included Pierre Grimal , Jacques Heurgon , Pierre Wuilleumier , Jérôme Carcopino and Jacqueline Worms de Romilly (the second woman admitted to the Académie française ). Former students are the French Cardinal Philippe Barbarin , Justice Minister Christiane Taubira , Etel Adnan and Linda Maria Baros .
In 2010, the QS World University Rankings put the University of Paris IV in 13th place worldwide in the field of Arts & Humanities .
Paris-Sorbonne University, Abu Dhabi
In 2006, the Paris-Sorbonne University and the United Arab Emirates signed a cooperation agreement to establish a new Paris-Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi in Abu Dhabi , the capital of the United Arab Emirates. This is the first time that a French university is setting up abroad.
- André Tuilier : Histoire de l'Université de Paris et de la Sorbonne. Volume 1. Nouvelle librairie de France, 1994. - Review by Albert Poirot, in: Bulletin des bibliothèques de France 2, 1996, (online) .
- André Tuilier (ed.): L'Université de Paris, la Sorbonne et la Révolution. 1989.
- André Tuilier (ed.): Richelieu et le monde de l'esprit. 1985.
- André Tuilier (ed.): La vie universitaire parisienne au XIIIe siècle. 1974.
- Official website (French)
- Université Paris Sorbonne Abu Dhabi - Homepage ( Memento from November 19, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) (English)
- Guide de l'Etudiant 2005/2006 for the dates of the decrees
- Archived copy ( Memento from April 26, 2011 in the Internet Archive )