Jerry Wald (band leader)
Wald led his own big bands from the 1940s to the 1950s , with which some 78s were created for Majestic ; he performed with his orchestras in the first half of the 1940s in New York and Chicago, in the late 1940s in Hollywood and returned to New York in 1952.
His admiration for Artie Shaw not only led to similarities in style and sound, but also to the attitudes of many former musicians in Shaw's orchestra, including Bernie Privin , Les Robinson , Sid Weiss , singer Anita Boyer , arrangers Ray Conniff , Bill Challis and Jerry Gray . In addition, Nelson Riddle , Ray Sims , Les Elgart , Bob Dukoff , Al Cohn , Bill Perkins , Lee Konitz , Al Haig , Billy Bauer , Art Ryerson , Irving Cottler , Manny Albam worked in Wald's orchestra at various times .
The first record was released in 1942 on Decca Records ; others followed. In 1946 Columbia Pictures produced a short music film with Wald's orchestra. In 1952 he recorded with Chris Connor . At the beginning of his career, pianist Bill Evans worked on two Wald albums, Top Pops - Jerry Wald & His Orchestra (MGM / Lion, 1953) and Listen to the Music of Jerry Wald (Kapp, 1955), dance and light music with titles popular at the time like “ I Love Paris ” or “ Mad About the Boy ”.
- Carlo Bohländer , Karl Heinz Holler, Christian Pfarr: Reclam's Jazz Guide . 5th, revised and supplemented edition. Reclam, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-15-010464-5 , 1977 (Reclam) / 1980 (Ed.Peters, Leipzig)
- Hanns E. Petrik: Bill Evans - His Life, His Music, His Records , OREOS Verlag, 1989
- Jerry Wald Orch and Jerry Wald on Big Bands Database Plus
- Jerry Wald “Clarinet High Jinks” on www.bigbandlibrary.com
- cf. Roger D. Kinkle: The Complete Encyclopedia of Popular Music and Jazz, 1900-1950: Biographies , L through Z. Arlington House, 1974
- cf. Carlo Bohländer among others: Reclam's jazz guide . Stuttgart, Reclam, 1977
- see Bill Evans Discography at www.jazzdisco.org
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Forest, Jervis (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American clarinetist and band leader|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 15, 1918|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Newark , New Jersey|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 1973|
|Place of death||Las Vegas , Nevada|