Bellin was born the son of a farmer. In the literature, the place of birth is named "Banca in the parish of Großer Schönfeld", although, as the lexicon of Hamburg writers to the present (1849) shows, it is unclear which place is meant by "Banca". It is also unclear which of the two church locations called "Groß Schönfeld" in Western Pomerania is meant.
After attending various schools in Pomerania and Brandenburg, he was accepted into the grammar school in Halle (Saale) , where he was classmate of Philipp von Zesen . After working as a private tutor in Wismar in 1639 and in Hamburg in 1641 , he enrolled at the University of Wittenberg in 1643 , where he obtained his master's degree in 1645 . In the following year he was accepted into the German-minded cooperative at the intercession of Zesens .
In 1650 he went to Parchim , where he accepted a position as school principal. From 1654 he worked in the same position in Wismar. Above all, Bellin excelled through his efforts in German grammar. As early as 1642 he published a simple “Teutsche Orthographie or right writing art”. Under the influence of Zesen, he followed him with his radical reform of standard German spelling.
- German orthography or right writing art, 1642 (without location)
- Upper German spelling, Lübeck 1657, reprint Hildesheim 1973
- Several of the ... German-minded cooperative members ... Send letter, Hamburg 1647
- Syntaxis Praepositionum Teutonicarum, or Deudscher for words, artistic cohesion. Lübeck 1660. ( digitized in the digital library Mecklenburg-Vorpommern)
- Abigailldas is / of the praiseworthy women's room Adel u. Eligibility, Lübeck 1650
- Johann Friedrich Ludwig Theodor Merzdorf: Bellin, Johann . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 2, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1875, p. 311.
- Literature Lexicon by Walther Killy Volume 1 Page 407
- Hans Schröder : Lexicon of the Hamburg writers to the present. Volume 1. Hamburg 1851, p. 212 ( online ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 21, 1618|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Banca, parish of Großer Schönfeld, Pomerania|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 31, 1660|
|Place of death||Wismar|