Live and act
After training as a technical draftsman and military service, he began with the tenor saxophone, played with Joe Klimm (1951) and Jutta Hipp (1952–1954), among others , then headed his own quintet and played with the Two Beat Stompers, founded by Günter Boas , and Wolfgang Lauth septet . In 1958 he became a member of the "German All Stars", from which the " Jazz Ensemble des Hessischer Rundfunks " emerged in the same year , in which he has played since it was founded.
He was considered a solid instrumentalist (all saxophones, especially tenor and soprano saxophone, clarinet, but also trumpet, tuba, trombone, violin, accordion, sousaphone, piano, vibraphone), but he was more important as a composer and especially as an arranger. In particular , he made lasting contributions to the "Jazz Ensemble des Hessischer Rundfunks" and to the Erwin Lehn orchestra , to which he has been a member since 1962. "For combos and big bands and all sorts of ensembles of almost any size, he was always creating new, surprising sound combinations." ( Joachim-Ernst Berendt )
- Joki Freund Yogi Jazz (with J. Freund, ts; Emil Mangelsdorff , as, fl; Wolfgang Dauner , p; Eberhard Weber , b; Karl Theodor Geier , b; Peter Baumeister , dr) (Atelier Sawano AS 058; 1963)
- Colin Wilkie , Shirley Hart, Albert Mangelsdorff , Joki Freund and the jazz ensemble of the Hessischer Rundfunk Wild Goose (with Joki Freund, arr, ts, ss; Albert Mangelsdorff, tb; Emil Mangelsdorff, as, fl; Heinz Sauer , ts, as ; Günter Kronberg , as; Günter Lenz , b; Ralf Hübner , dr; Colin Willkie, gt, voc; Shirley Hart, voc; 1969)
- Jazz ensemble of the Hessischer Rundfunk Atmospheric Conditions Permitting (with Joki Freund, arr, ts, as, ss; Albert Mangelsdorff, tb; Emil Mangelsdorff, as, fl; Heinz Sauer, arr, ts, ss, as, synt; Christof Lauer , ts, ss; Bob Degen , p; Günter Lenz, arr, b; Ralf Hübner, arr, dr, synt; and Lee Konitz , as; Tony Scott , cl; Volker Kriegel , gt; Bill Frisell , gt: Eberhard Weber , b: Werner Pirchner , vibes, arr and others; recordings between 1967 and 1993, producer: Ulrich Olshausen ).
- Sandner, Wolfgang: Jazz in Frankfurt , Frankfurt 1990 (Societäts-Verlag).
- Schwab, Jürgen: The Frankfurt Sound. A city and its jazz history (s) , Frankfurt 2004 (Societäts-Verlag).
- Literature by and about Joki Freund in the catalog of the German National Library
- Joki Freund at Allmusic (English)
- Frankfurter Rundschau of February 18, 2012, p. F15
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Friend, Walter Jakob (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German jazz musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 5, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt-Höchst|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 15, 2012|
|Place of death||Schwalbach am Taunus|