Jordan Wolfson (* 1980 in New York City , USA ) is an American artist who lives and works in New York City and Los Angeles , California . He became internationally known at the beginning of the 2010s with multimedia, often provocative works in which he examined the social effects of digitization on the experience of violence and eroticism, among other things.
Wolfson studied sculpture at the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence , Rhode Island , USA, at times with Ryan Trecartin and Dan Colen . In 2003 he completed his studies with a Bachelor of Fine Arts . Already at this time he was drawing attention to himself with computer animations, film and video works.
Wolfson addresses the visual products of American consumer and pop culture in his artistic work . Based on his own perception, he tries to provoke a direct physical, often disturbing experience of the visitor in the exhibition space. To do this, he uses very different media and new, immersive technologies such as digital painting, video, computer animation, virtual reality and animatronic sculptures.
For the often time-consuming, costly production of his newer works, he has a whole team of changing employees, for example from the special effects studios in Hollywood.
Solo exhibitions (selection)
- 2002: Jordan Wolfson: Radar , Galleri Brändström & Stene, Stockholm
- 2004: Jordan Wolfson , Kunsthalle Zürich , Zürich.
- 2007: Jordan Wolfson: Optical Sound , Galleria d'Arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy.
- 2008: Jordan Wolfsonn: untitled false document , Swiss Institute / Contemporary Art New York , New Era Building (New York City) .
- 2011: Jordan Wolfson , Schmela Haus, North Rhine-Westphalia Art Collection , Düsseldorf.
- Jordan Wolfson: Raspberry Poser , REDCAT, Los Angeles, California, USA.
- 2012: Jordan Wolfson: Con Leche , Kunsthalle Wien .
- 2012: Jordan Wolfson: Con Leche , Nassauischer Kunstverein , Wiesbaden.
- 2013: Jordan Wolfson: Raspberry Poser , Chisenhale Gallery , London.
- 2013: Jordan Wolfson: Ecce Homo , Stedelijk Museum voor Actuele Kunst , Gent.
- 2016: Jordan Wolfson. Part 1: MANIC / LOVE and Part II: TRUTH / LOVE , Stedelijk Museum , Amsterdam
- 2018: Jordan Wolfson , Schinkel Pavillon (Berlin-Mitte) .
- Esther Leslie et al. a .: Jordan Wolfson: Ecce homo / le Poseur . König, Cologne 2013, ISBN 978-3-863354-14-5 .
- Website of the artist (en.)
- Thom Bettridge: How Do I Feel More? A Weekend With Jordan Wolfson. Retrieved April 24, 2018 .
- Jordan Wolfson | Kunsthalle Zurich. Retrieved June 8, 2018 .
- Beatrix Ruf: Interview: Jordan Wolfson . In: Kaleidoscope . No. 28 , 2016 ( kaleidoscope.media ). Interview: Jordan Wolfson ( Memento of the original from June 9, 2018 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Timo Feldhaus: Jordan Wolfson's Robot: In the Moment of Terror . In: Spike Art Quarterly . No. 40 , 2014 ( spikeartmagazine.com ).
- Literary pictures, painterly texts in FAZ from February 1, 2012, page 37
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American artist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1980|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York City , USA|