Silverman studied at Brown University ( bachelor's degree in 1977) and received his doctorate in 1982 with John T. Tate at Harvard with the dissertation The Neron-Tate Height on Elliptic Curves . From 1982 to 1986 he taught (from 1982 as Moore Instructor ) at MIT , was then professor at Boston University until 1988 and at Brown University from 1988. In 1987 he became a Sloan Research Fellow .
Silverman deals with arithmetic algebraic geometry and number theory. He also developed cryptographic algorithms ( NTRUEncrypt , NTRUSign ), which he also markets as a co-founder of NTRU Cryptosystems (together with Jeffrey Hoffstein , Jill Pipher and Daniel Lieman). He is known for his two books on the number theory of elliptic curves, which are standard works. For these books he received the Leroy P. Steele Prize of the American Mathematical Society , of which he is a fellow.
- The Arithmetic of Elliptic Curves (= Graduate Texts in Mathematics . 106). Springer, New York NY et al. 1986, ISBN 0-387-96203-4 .
- with John T. Tate: Rational Points on Elliptic Curves (= Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics. ). Springer, New York NY et al. 1992, ISBN 0-387-97825-9 .
- Advanced Topics in the Arithmetic of Elliptic Curves (= Graduate Texts in Mathematics. 151). Springer, New York NY et al. 1994, ISBN 0-387-94328-5 .
- A Friendly Introduction to Number Theory. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River NJ et al. 1997, ISBN 0-13-263799-5 .
- as editor with Gary Connell, Glenn Stevens : Modular Forms and Fermat's Last Theorem. Springer, New York NY et al. 1997, ISBN 0-387-94609-8 .
- with Marc Hindry: Diophantine Geometry. An Introduction (= Graduate Texts in Mathematics. 201). Springer, New York NY et al. 2000, ISBN 0-387-98975-7 .
- The Arithmetic of Dynamical Systems (= Graduate Texts in Mathematics. 241). Springer, New York NY et al. 2007, ISBN 978-0-387-69903-5 .
- with Jeffrey Hoffstein , Jill Pipher : An Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography (= Undergraduate Texts in Mathematics. ). Springer, New York NY et al. 2008, ISBN 978-0-387-77993-5 .
- Joseph Silverman in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- Homepage of Joseph Silverman at Brown University (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Silverman, Joseph Hillel (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American number theorist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 27, 1955|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York City|