|motto||Learning, Virtue, Piety|
|place||Boston , Massachusetts , USA|
|president||Robert A. Brown|
|Foundation assets||approximately $ 919 million|
Ice Hockey (men and women): Hockey East
The Boston University is a private university in Boston in the US state of Massachusetts . With 30,000 students, it is the fourth largest private university in the United States. It is a member of the Association of American Universities , an association of leading research-intensive North American universities that has existed since 1900.
The university has 7 Nobel Prize winners, including Martin Luther King, Jr. (PhD '55) and Elie Wiesel, 35 Pulitzer Prize winners, 9 Oscar winners, and Emmy and Tony Award winners among alumni and faculty.
Boston University was founded as the first Methodist seminary in Newbury , Vermont in 1839 . In 1847 this seminary was moved to Concord , New Hampshire , before it found its present location in Boston in 1867 . The name Boston University was given in 1869 .
Boston University consists of six colleges and nine schools. The best known are the Faculties of Philosophy , Dentistry , Education , Law , Medicine, and Theology . The Faculty of Medicine is very large and is located on a separate campus .
Boston University owns extensive grounds in Lenox Massachusetts , Groton Place , which is used as a summer music school and for "Berkshire Country Day classes". The property initially belonged to the lawyer and art collector Grenville Lindall Winthrop, who died in 1943, a descendant of John Winthrop , who had several buildings restored in Lenox and the surrounding area. Groton Place itself was designed by the architects Carrère and Hastings . After Winthrop's death, the German emigrant couple Max and Gertrud Bondy acquired the property and used it until 1975 for the Windsor Mountain School they founded
The Boston University has a branch in Brussels, the Boston University Brussels and in Rome, the Boston University Rome .
Boston University has its own university theater and a very large library called the Mugar Library , which is the largest of the 16 libraries on campus. Around 1.9 million printed volumes and another 3.1 million volumes on microfilm are located there. The documentation center belongs to the library and is an information center about the two American poets Walt Whitman and Robert Frost . The university owns personal items from well-known personalities such as Theodore Roosevelt , Martin Luther King , Bette Davis and Fred Astaire .
The sports teams at Boston University are the BU Terriers . The university is a member of the Patriot League .
- Theodore Antoniou , conductor, professor of music
- Isaac Asimov , writer, professor of chemistry
- Alexander Graham Bell , professor of speech technology and physiology
- Saul Bellow , Nobel Prize in Literature 1976
- Peter L. Berger , Professor of Sociology and Theology
- Norman Dello Joio , composer, professor of music
- Lukas Foss , composer and conductor
- Sheldon Lee Glashow , Nobel Prize in Physics 1979
- Henry Giroux , Professor of Education
- Ha Jin , professor of English literature
- Leonid Levin , professor of computer science
- Robert Lowell , Professor of English Literature (1959)
- Louis Lowy , Professor at the School of Social Work (establishment of systems theory as the guiding theory of social work)
- Jaakko Hintikka , Professor of Philosophy of Mathematics
- Osamu Shimomura , Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2008
- Whitney Smith , Vexilloge , Professor of Politics
- Eugene Stanley , professor of physics, physiology, medical technology and chemistry
- Derek Walcott , Nobel Prize in Literature 1992
- Elie Wiesel , Nobel Peace Prize 1986
- Howard Zinn , Professor of History
Government and politics
Actors and singers
- Boston University Homepage (English)
- Roselle Kline Chartock: Windsor Mountain School: A Beloved Berkshire Institution . The History Press, Charleston, 2014, ISBN 978-1-62619-443-4 . Also as an online edition ( Memento of the original from April 5, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. visible. See also: More on Windsor Mountain School (section “Windsor Mountain School - Afterward”) and Groton Place Completed 1905