Kenneth Jinghwa Hsü
He married in the USA and started a family with his wife Ruth. When she died in a car accident in 1963, he moved to Switzerland and got a position as a professor at ETH Zurich . In 1984 Hsü was the "Bownocker Lecturer" at Ohio State University. He then worked at Nanjing University, since 1994 he has been retired.
Hsü has received numerous scientific prizes, including the Twenhofel Medal , the Wollaston Medal, and the Penrose Medal . In addition, Hsü is a foreign member of the National Academy of Sciences and was president of the International Society for Sediment Research.
During his career, Hsü published more than 400 works, including some popular science works. The best-known books are Dinosaur Planet ( The Great Dying ) and The Mediterranean Sea was a desert ( The Mediterranean was a Desert ). The second book summarized his work on the Messinian salinity crisis in a generally understandable way and described the knowledge he and his colleagues had gained during his time on the Glomar Challenger about the drying up of the Mediterranean almost 6 million years ago.
Outside of his scientific work he dealt with the life of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and published a book about his death ( Mozart, Amadeus and Magdalena , which appeared in China under the title 莫扎特 的 愛 與 死).
- Physics of Sedimentology: Textbook and Reference , Springer Verlag, 2nd edition 2004
- Climate makes history. Human history as a reflection of climate development , Orell Füssli Verlag, Zurich 2000
- with U. Briegel Geology of Switzerland , Birkhäuser 1991
- The Geology of Switzerland , Princeton University Press 1995
- The last years of the dinosaurs , Birkhäuser 1990
- The great dying , Ballantine Books 1988
- A ship revolutionizes science, the Glomar Challenger , Hoffmann and Campe expeditions in 1982
- The Mediterranean was a desert. On research trips with the Glomar Challenger , Harnack, Munich 1984
- Homepage of Kenneth J. Hsü
- Kenneth J. Hsü: A lateral thinker in geology. China Radio International (CRI), Beijing
- Biography on Hsü's website ( Memento of the original from April 7, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Bownocker History ( Memento of the original from September 4, 2006 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Publication List Kenneth J. Hsu. Retrieved October 12, 2008
- Chinese product information . Retrieved April 30, 2007.
|SURNAME||Hsü, Kenneth Jinghwa|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Chinese 許靖華 / 许靖华 , Pinyin Xǔ Jìnghuá|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Chinese geologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 7, 1929|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nanjing , China|