The air geography (or -grafie ) is the current science of climate and is considered as a field of interdisciplinary climatology . She investigates the interactions of the climate system with other systems, her focus is mostly on the interactions and the spatial patterns on the earth's surface .
The climatology as an interdisciplinary science of Subjects meteorology , geography, besides also geology , oceanography and physics , is the study of the physical phenomena of the air surrounding the Earth (climate) and its interaction with the realities of the earth's surface, as well as the spatial and temporal change of climate . While the physical and chemical relationships and processes - the physics of the entire earth's atmosphere - are described by meteorology, the focus of geographic climatology is on the mutual influences between the earth's surface and air envelope in their spatial patterns and temporal change:
- Effect of the earth's surface (water and land surface) on weather and climate,
- Effect of weather on the earth's surface and people ( terrain climatology , urban climatology ).
In particular, spatially limited phenomena are observed and described that result, for example, from the topography and the nature of the earth's surface, the relief and the upper soil layers, or from the structure of the geofactors . The geographical climatic factors include latitude , altitude , land-sea distribution as well as maritime / continentality , relief , land cover or slope . The earth's surface is classified and typified according to different climatic and meteorological aspects in climatic zones and climatic classifications .
The term climatic geography is chosen today to accentuate a geography-oriented, especially regional climatology , in analogy to terms such as hydrogeography , vegetation geography . However, this use of the term is controversial in geography. There is often no clear distinction between the terms climatology and climatic geography , and in some cases they are used synonymously.
"Since the variety of climatic phenomena in the atmosphere and their effects in connection with the geographical factors of the earth's surface have to be interpreted physically and causally, and therefore sufficient knowledge of the physico-dynamic processes is required, a fundamental distinction between climatology and climatic geography is not necessary."
- Hans Gebhardt , Rüdiger Glaser , Ulrich Radtke , Paul Reuber, Stephan Meyer: Geography - physical geography and human geography . 2nd Edition. Spectrum Academic Publishing House, 2011, ISBN 978-3-8274-2816-5 , 9 Climate Geography.
- Wilhelm Lauer : climatology. Braunschweig 1995.
- Joachim Blüthgen: General climate geography . Ed .: Wolfgang Weischet (= textbook of general geography . Volume 2 ). Walter de Gruyter, 1980, ISBN 978-3-11-006561-9 .
- Lauer, 1995
- Hans Gebhardt, Rüdiger Glaser, Ulrich Radtke, Paul Reuber (eds.): Geography . Spectrum Academic Publishing House, 2011, ISBN 978-3-8274-2816-5 , 9 Climate Geography.
- Roland Baumhauer , Christof Kneisel, Steffen Möller, Brigitta Schütt, Elisabeth Tressel: Physical Geography 2: Climate, Hydro, Soil, Vegetation Geography (= Hans-Dieter Haas [Ed.]: Geowissen compact ). Scientific Book Society, 2008, ISBN 978-3-534-15636-8 , pp. 1-4, 57-63 .
- Lauer, 1995