Live and act
Leo was born as the seventh child of the lawyer Carl Julius Eduard Ubbelohde (1827–1894) and his wife Johanna Friederike Karoline Charlotte Philippine Wilhelmine Emilie, called Amelie, née Poppe (1844–1938), one of the first female entrepreneurs and patent holders of her time.
After completing school and high school in Celle in 1897, he began studying chemistry in Berlin at the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität, today's Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin . He received his doctorate in 1903 in Berlin at the II. Chemical Institute ("Technological Institute") under Wilhelm Pfitzinger with a thesis on condensation of isatic acid and o-amidobenzaldehyde with isonitrosoacetone. After that he worked at the Royal Materials Testing Office in Berlin-Großlichterfelde as an assistant to David Holde in the research field of oils and fats until 1908 . In 1905 he developed a useful apparatus for determining the “true dropping point ” and in 1907 an improved form of the Ostwald capillary . During this time he invested a lot of effort in comparing the outflow times of the Engler viscometer with viscosities and created extensive tables for this purpose.
In 1907 Carl Engler gave him the opportunity to do his habilitation at the Technical University in Karlsruhe. After his habilitation in 1910, he received a professorship in technical chemistry there in 1911; Carl Engler and Hans Bunte retired in 1919. In 1932 he applied for a patent for his improved "Ubbelohde viscometer with hanging level".
In 1933 he ended his scientific career by moving to the Technical University of Berlin . In 1933 Leo Ubbelohde was also a founding member of the German Society for Petroleum Research (today: DGMK German Scientific Society for Petroleum, Natural Gas and Coal ).
He became famous for his research on mineral oils, catalysis of fat hardening and viscosity. From 1920 until old age he was primarily concerned with the processing of viscous textile fibers.
- Norbert A. Skiera: Leo Ubbelohde. Personality and scientific achievements with special consideration of viscometry . Hamburg 1990 (student thesis).
- Handbook of chemistry and technology of oils and fats: chemistry, analysis, extraction and processing of oils, fats, waxes and resins
- For viscometry. Appendix: Conversion tables for viscosity numbers, 1940
- Vita Leo Ubbelohde , Anna and Leo Ubbelohde Foundation (founded in 2014)
- University of Karlsruhe
- Leo Ubbelohde: About condensation of isatic acid and o-amidobenzaldehyde with isonitrosoacetone. In: Journal für Praktische Chemie 66 , 263-264 (1902). Digitized on Gallica
- Leo Ubbelohde: The true dropping point and an apparatus for its determination . In: Angewandte Chemie 18 , 1220-1225 (1905). doi : 10.1002 / anie.19050183104
- Fat analysis and fat chemistry in 1905 . In: Angewandte Chemie 19 , page 987 (1906). doi : 10.1002 / anie.19060192203
- Leo Ubbelohde, Chemiker-Zeitung 31 , 38 (1907).
- Houben-Weyl Methods of Organic Chemistry Vol. I, 2nd Edition. Georg Thieme Verlag, 2014, ISBN 978-3-131-99182-9 , p. 1019 ( limited preview in Google book search).
- Houben-Weyl Methods of Organic Chemistry Vol. I, 3rd Edition. Georg Thieme Verlag, 2014, ISBN 978-3-131-99263-5 , p. 1205 ( limited preview in the Google book search). (Tables for Engler's viscometer)
- Mineral oils and related products. Springer-Verlag, 2013, ISBN 978-3-642-53011-1 , p. 52 ( limited preview in Google book search). (Function of the new viscometer)
- Viscometer Ubbelohde ( Memento of the original dated November 2, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Patent DE 6xxxxx, filed March 24, 1932; US 2048305, filed July 27, 1933, issued July 21, 1936.
- L. Ubbelohde: Chemistry, raw material problem and national economic control . In: Angewandte Chemie 47, 4-7 (1934). doi : 10.1002 / anie.19340470104
- Helmut Maier: Chemists in the "Third Reich". John Wiley & Sons, 2015, ISBN 978-3-527-69134-0 , p. 106 ( limited preview in Google book search).
- Article on 75 Years DGMK 2008 ( Memento of the original from September 18, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF; 439 kB)
- Ralph E. Oesper: Leo Ubbelohde. In: J. Chem. Educ., 1953, 30 (8), p. 414
- Patents DE 428526 from February 17, 1922 to DE 1690568 from October 17, 1954
- Worldcat Identities (catalog raisonné Leo Ubbelohde)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Ubbelohde, Leo Karl Eduard (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physical chemist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 4, 1877|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hanover|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 28, 1964|
|Place of death||Dusseldorf|