Moravians (ethnic group)
The Moravians (also Moravia , outdated also Morawer , Czech : Moravané ) are a West Slavic ethnic group in the Moravian part of the Czech Republic . In their own perception they are an independent people who speak the Czech language.
They are the descendants of the early medieval Moravians , the inhabitants of the Moravian Empire , who settled the country around the 6th century. In a 1991 census, 1,362,000 people declared themselves “Moravian nationality”, that is 13.2% of the total population of the Czech Republic; in 2001 it fell to 380,000 people. The 2011 census recorded an increase in the number of people professing the Moravian ethnic group to 630,897, 108,423 of whom named their ethnicity in combination with another, 99,000 of them as "Moravian-Czech".
In addition, the Moravians are divided into further subgroups with regional dialects of the Czech language :
- Hannaken ( Hanáci , in the Hanna , in Czech Haná )
- (Moravian) Horaks (or highlanders), Czech: Horáci , in the Horakenland or Bergland, Czech Horácko in West Moravia (on the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands , Czech Českomoravská Vysočina )
- Moravian Slovaks ( Moravští Slováci , residents of Moravian Slovakia , Czech Moravské Slovácko , in the southeast of the country)
- (Moravian) Wallachians ( Valaši , meaning shepherds , in Moravian Wallachia , Czech Valašsko , also the Moravian Beskids ), Czech Beskydy
- the laughter ( Laši , in der Lachei , Czech Lašsko )
Today they are mostly also
- the Moravian Silesians ( Slezané , in Czech Silesia , Czech Slezsko )
regarded as a moron.
Before the German population was expelled after the Second World War, the German-speaking residents of Moravia were also referred to as (German) Moravians . Like the Bohemians , the Moravians saw themselves as residents of their country with a Czech or German mother tongue. The term Sudeten Germans did not appear until the 20th century.
- ↑ K moravské národnosti se při sčítání přihlásilo přes půl milionů lidí na Tiscali.cz ( Memento of the original from December 26, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.