Michael Rathmann (born January 30, 1968 in Troisdorf ) is a German ancient historian .
Michael Rathmann has been studying Ancient History, Medieval and Modern History as well as Classical Archeology at the University of Bonn since 1988 , where he obtained his master's degree in 1994 with a thesis on Theopompos supervised by Gerhard Wirth . In 1998 he received his doctorate with the thesis supervised by Hartmut Galsterer , Investigations on the Reichsstraßen in the western provinces of the Imperium Romanum . This was followed by teaching assignments in the 1998/99 winter semester at the University of Siegen and in the 1999 summer semester at the University of Bonn. From 1999 to 2002 he was a research assistant in the German Bundestag . Rathmann has been a research assistant in the Department of Ancient History at the University of Bonn since January 1, 2003, where he became World History and Province in February 2010 . Research on the Βιβλιοϑήκη of Diodorus from Sicily qualified as a professor. In the spring of 2010 he was a lecturer at the University of Zurich , after replacing Anne Kolb on her chair there the previous semester . Rathmann has been a research assistant at the Excellence Cluster Topoi at the Free University of Berlin since March 1, 2010 . Rathmann taught in the winter semester 2010/2011 and in the summer semester 2011 as a substitute professor of ancient history at the University of Hamburg . Since February 1, 2013 he has been Professor of Ancient History at the University of Eichstätt .
His work focuses on early Hellenism , the geography of antiquity and the Roman infrastructure, administration in the Roman Empire and the Roman Rhineland.
- Investigations on the imperial roads in the western provinces of the Imperium Romanum. (= Supplements to the Bonner Jahrbücher. Volume 55). von Zabern, Mainz 2003, ISBN 3-8053-3043-X . (In parts at the same time: Dissertation. University of Bonn, 1998/99) ( online ).
- Perdiccas between 323 and 320. Administrator of the Alexander Empire or autocrat? Publishing house of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna 2005, ISBN 3-7001-3503-3 . ( Review H-Soz-u-Kult )
- Diodorus and his library. World history from the province. (= Klio supplements. New series, volume 27). de Gruyter, Berlin et al. 2016, ISBN 978-3-11-048144-0 .
- Tabula Peutingeriana. The only world map from ancient times. 3rd, revised edition. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 2018, ISBN 978-3-8053-5177-5 .
- Perception and recording of geographical areas in antiquity. von Zabern, Mainz 2007, ISBN 978-3-8053-3749-6 . ( Review see points )
- Studies in ancient historiography. (= Antiquitas. Series 1: Treatises on Ancient History. Volume 55). Habelt, Bonn 2009, ISBN 978-3-7749-3498-6 . ( Review H-Soz-u-Kult ) ( Review see points )
- Literature by and about Michael Rathmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Rathmann at the University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt
- ↑ Cf. the reviews of Ekkehard Weber in: sehepunkte 5 (2005), No. 9 [15. September 2005], ( online ); Heinz E. Herzig in: Gnomon 85, 2013, pp. 342-347; Andreas Fassbender in: Klio 89, 2007, pp. 238–240.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 30, 1968|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Troisdorf|