Michael Seadle (born June 16, 1950 in Detroit , Michigan) is an American historian and information scientist . He was Professor of Digital Libraries at the Institute for Library and Information Science at the Humboldt University in Berlin .
After graduating with a bachelor's degree in 1972 and a Master of Arts in 1973, Seadle completed his doctorate in history at the University of Chicago in 1977 on: Quakerism in Germany: the pacifist response to Hitler . After completing his doctorate, he worked as a department head in the library of the University of Chicago and worked as a programmer, database manager and analyst for various companies. From 1986 to 1987 he worked as a lecturer at Northwestern University and taught "Foundations of Western Intellectual Thought". Between 1987 and 1989, Seadle was the assistant director of the Computing Center for Academic Computing and User Support Services at Eastern Michigan University, teaching at the Institute for the History of 20th Century Civilizations . He then worked as the assistant director of the library technology department at the Cornell University library in Ithaca, New York. Between 1992 and 1996 Michael Seadle was President of Seadle Consulting, East Lansing . In 1997 he received a Master of Science degree in Information from the University of Michigan and was awarded the Margaret Mann Awards . This was followed by positions as director of the Digital and Multimedia Center and as deputy director of information technology at the Michigan State University library .
Michael Seadle has been Professor at the Institute for Library and Information Science at the Humboldt University in Berlin since 2006 . He has been director of the institute since 2006 and dean of the Philosophical Faculty I since 2010. In 2012, Seadle was elected chairman of the iSchools group and will take up this position in March 2014 at the iConference in Berlin.
- Together with Peter Schirmbacher and Elisabeth Niggemann : " LOCKSS and KOPAL Infrastructure and Interoperability" ( LuKII ), German Research Foundation , 2009
- Together with Rainer Kuhlen : "Development of an information infrastructure on copyright law for education and science Copyright knowledge for education and science (IUWIS)" German Research Society, 2009–2011
- "Workshop on Preservation Networks and Technologies", German Research Association, 2007.
- Together with Ruth Ann Jones: "Making of Modern Michigan," Institute of Museum and Library Services Award, 2002–2005
- Together with Richard Triemer: "The Euglenoid Project II: Restructuring Phylogeny And Taxonomy." National Science Foundation award, 2003-2008.
- Together with Peter Berg: "Feeding America: The Historic American Cookbook Project," Institute of Museum and Library Services award, 2001-2004.
- Together with Peter Berg: "Shaping the Values of Youth: A Nineteenth Century American Sunday School Book Collection," Library of Congress / Ameritech National Digital Library award, 1999–2001.
- "Digital Orchid Library," American Orchid Society award, 2001-2002
- Together with Mark Kornbluh, John Deller, and Joyce Grant: "National Gallery of the Spoken Word," Digital Library Initiative (Phase 2) award, 1999–2004.
- Together with David Wiley, Fredric Bohm, Mark Kornbluh, Joseph Lauer: “Accessing African Scholarly Journals: Sustainable Electronic Publishing and Indexing of African Journals through International Cooperation,” Title VI International Education Program award, 1999–2004
- Together with Mark Kornbluh, David Robinson, David Wiley: "Building a Multi-Lingual Digital Library for West African Sources," International Digital Library Initiative Award, 2000–2003.
Editing / membership in scientific associations and publishing houses
- Editor, Library Hi Tech, GB, 1997-
- Member of the Editorial Board, Reference Services Review, UK, 1998-
- Member of the Editorial Board, World Digital Libraries: An International Journal, India, 2007-
- Member of the editorial board, library: research and practice, Germany, 2008-
- Member, LOCKSS (Lots of Copies Keeps Stuff Safe) Alliance Technical Policy Committee
- Member of the editorial board, Journal for the Study of Radicalism, USA, 2007–2010
- Member, German-North American Resources Partnership, 2003–2008
- Board of Directors, Germanists Discussion Group, Association of College and Research Libraries, 2005–2006.
- Member, Emerald / MCB University Press Research Fund Board, 2001–2004.
- Board of Directors, Digitization Committee, Action Team for Library Advancement Statewide, 2001–2002
- Board of Directors, Electronic Text Centers Discussion Group, American Library Association, 1998–2003
- Coordinator, Digital Libraries Group, German Resources Project, Association of Research Libraries, 1998–2003
- Editor, South Asia Libraries Notes and Queries, 1979–81
- Works by and about Michael Seadle in the German Digital Library
- Publications by Michael Seadle
- Michael Seadle's homepage at the Institute for Library and Information Science
- Digital + Research = Blog (Michael Seadle's blog about digital libraries and long-term archiving)
- Website of the LuKII project
- Website of the LOCKSS project
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American historian and information scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 16, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Detroit , Michigan|