Michael Southon (* before 1973 in Brighton , England) is an English cameraman. Southon has shot around 40 feature films, over 250 music videos and around 200 TV commercials . He is a member of the British Society of Cinematographers .
After attending the Westlain Grammar School in Brighton, Southon studied photography at the Brighton College of Art , where he graduated in 1973. Since the early 1970s, he worked in the Ealing studios of BBC , first as a camera assistant and later as an independent cameraman. He left the BBC in the mid-1980s and started working as a freelancer.
Between 1977 and 1995 he shot several films for the BBC TV series Omnibus . This program was broadcast regularly on prime-time Sundays between 1988 and 1995 and was considered the "flagship" of the BBC's arts program. He has been on several films since 1980 for the second of the BBC's longstanding art formats, the Arena series , named one of the "50 Most Influential Programs of All Time" by Broadcast Magazine , the weekly magazine for the British TV and radio industry Cameraman involved.
Among his most successful music videos include November Rain by Guns N 'Roses , which is part of production costs 1.5 million US dollars to the twenty most expensive video of all time, Freedom! '90 by George Michael , directed by David Fincher and Cream by Prince .
From 1996 to 1998 he was President of the British Society of Cinematographers.
- 1986: Gothic
- 1987: Aria
- 1988: Paperhouse - nightmares come true (Paperhouse)
- 1991: A Kiss Before Dying (A Kiss Before Dying)
- 1991: Little Man Tate (Little Man Tate)
- 1992: Stormy Passion (Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights)
- 1995: The Final Cut (The Final Cut)
- 1995: Family Gang (Roommates)
- 1997: Air Bud - Champion on four paws (Air Bud)
- 1997: Snow White (Snow White: A Tale of Terror)
- 1998: Air Bud 2 - Golden Receiver (Air Bud: Golden Receiver)
- 1999: Citizen Kane - The Hollywood Legend (RKO 281)
- 2000: Sorted
- 2001: Replicant
- 2004: Pursued - A headhunter knows no mercy (Pursued)
- 2006: Air Buddies - The puppies are on the loose (Air Buddies)
- 2006: The mystery of the mermaid (The Mermaid Chair)
- 2007: Beneath
- 2011: Spooky Buddies - The Curse of the Hallowuff Dog (Spooky Buddies)
- 2012: Footsoldiers of Berlin - Your word is law (St. George's Day)
Prizes and awards (selection)
- 1982: Lille International Short Film Festival, Grand Prix
- 1992: MTV Award for Best Dance Video - Cream - “Prince and The New Power Generation”
David A. Ellis: In Conversation with Cinematographers . Lanham, New York, London: Rowman & Littlefield 2015. ISBN 978-1-4422-5109-0
- Mike Southon in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Mike Southon BSC
- ↑ Cambridge Film Festival BBC Arena at 40: Night and Day, 2015 , accessed May 31, 2016.
- ↑ Cream - shooting information ( Memento of the original from June 1, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed June 1, 2016.
- ↑ Cream - shooting information ( Memento of the original from June 1, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed May 31, 2016.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Southon, Michael|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||English cameraman|
|DATE OF BIRTH||before 1973|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brighton , England|