Zaworotko studied chemistry at Imperial College London with a bachelor's degree in 1977 and then went to the University of Alabama , where he received his doctorate in 1982 with JL Atwood . As a post-doctoral student he was at the University of Victoria with SR Stobart from 1982 to 1985 . In 1985 he became Assistant Professor, 1987 Associate Professor and 1995 to 1997 Professor at Saint Mary's University Halifax , where he was head of the chemistry faculty from 1994 to 1997. From 1995 to 1999 he was president of the pharmaceutical company Diazans. In 1998/99 he was dean of the faculty for art and science at the University of Winnipeg and from 1999 professor at the University of South Florida , where he also headed the chemistry faculty until 2008. Zaworotko has held the Bernal Chair for Crystal Engineering at the University of Limerick since November 2013 . He is also the Science Foundation of Ireland Research Professor and Co-Director of the Synthesis and Solid-State Pharmaceutical Center.
He deals with supramolecular chemistry and crystal engineering (including supramolecular synthesis of solids with targeted modification of a component), crystal structure analysis, in particular with X-ray diffraction, nanotechnology and drug design, especially using co-crystals, in which the active pharmaceutical components are given favorable additional properties by suitable crystal partners become. From the end of the 1990s he has been working on porosity ( Metal Organic Frameworks ) with applications in environmental and energy technology (transport and storage of hydrogen, filtering out carbon dioxide, etc.).
In 1992 he was NRC Senior Research Associate at the Air Force Academy and in 1999 he was visiting professor at the University of Strasbourg, in 2001 at the Institute for Biology and Chemistry of Proteins of the CNRS in Lyon and since 2011 he has been a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science . In 2019 he was elected a member of the Royal Irish Academy .
In 2011, he was ranked # 20 Most Cited Chemists by Reuters.
Zaworotko is a British and Canadian citizen.
- with Brian Moulton From Molecules to Crystal Engineering: Supramolecular Isomerism and Polymorphism in Network Solids , Chem. Rev., Volume 101, 2001, pp. 1629-1658
- Editor with Kenneth Richard Seddon Crystal engineering: the design and application of functional solids , Kluwer 1999
- Editor with Edward Tiekink, Jagadese Vittal Organic crystal engineering: frontiers in crystal engineering , Wiley 2010
- Peddy Vishweshwar, Jennifer A. McMahon, Joanna A. Bis, Michael J. Zaworotko Pharmaceutical co-crystals , In: Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences , Volume 95, 2006, pp. 499-516, are treated as examples carbamazepine and piracetam .
- Members: Michael John Zaworotko. Royal Irish Academy, accessed May 14, 2019 .
- Communication from the University of South Florida 2011 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Zaworotko, Mike John|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British chemist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 14, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tredegar|