Live and act
Along with Sunny Murray , Andrew Cyrille and Rashied Ali, Graves belongs to the generation of avant-garde jazz drummers who shaped drumming in the mid-1960s. In 1964 he recorded with Paul Bley and Giuseppi Logan . He also worked with the Jazz Composer's Orchestra and was a member of the New York Art Quartet with Roswell Rudd , Lewis Worrell and John Tchicai , which also performed with Leroi Jones . In 1966 he worked as a duo with Don Pullen and Andrew Cyrille. Then he played with Albert Ayler(1967–68) and with Sonny Sharrock . While he has been teaching alongside Bill Dixon as a teacher at Bennington College since 1973 and only appeared on a few tours as a drummer, he played from 1983 to 1986 in the percussion quartet "Pieces of Time", the Don Moye , Andrew Cyrille and Kenny Clarke (later Philly Joe Jones ) belonged to. During this time he also played with Sun Ra . In the 1990s he appeared mainly with solo performances; there were two solo albums on John Zorn 's Tzadik label , which, according to Richard Cook and Brian Morton, are "powerful statements that show his extraordinary talent". In 1991 he played in a duo with saxophonist David Murray on his album Real Deal . Graves received the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Vision Festival in Brooklyn in 2013. With Bill Laswell he recorded his last album Space / Time - Redemption (2014).
Under his own name
- Percussion Ensemble ( ESP-Disk , 1965, with Sonny Morgan )
- Grand Unification (Tzadik, 1998)
- Stories ( Tzadik , 2000)
- New York Art Quartet (ESP-Disk, 1964, with Roswell Rudd, John Tchicai, Lewis Worrell)
- Kenny Clarke / Andrew Cyrille / Milford Graves / Don Moye: Pieces of Time ( Soul Note , 1983)
- New York Art Quartet: 35th Reunion ( DIW Records 1999, with Roswell Rudd, John Tchicai, Reggie Workman and Amiri Baraka )
- Anthony Braxton, Milford Graves, William Parker: Beyond Quantum (2008)
- Richard Cook : Jazz Encyclopedia . London, Penguin 2006 ISBN 978-0-141-02646-6 .
- Richard Cook, Brian Morton : The Penguin Guide of Jazz on CD . 6th edition. Penguin, London 2002, ISBN 0-14-051521-6 .
- Obituary. New Musical Express, February 13, 2021, accessed February 13, 2021 .
- FavId Adler: Vision Festival 18: Milford Graves - A Lifetime Achievement showcase for the drum legend in Brooklyn.
|SHORT DESCRIPTION||American jazz musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 20, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Queens , New York City|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 12, 2021|