Modern antique shop
As Modern Antiquarian ( MA ) is a market segment of the book market called, are traded in the specially priced books. These include, on the one hand, newer books, whose book prices have been removed, and, on the other hand, inexpensive special editions . Even bookstores , which mainly trade antiquarian with recent books and special editions are called "Modern Antiquarian called".
The market segment of the modern second-hand bookshop includes:
- Remittenden : books that were already on the market and not sold.
- Books with damage ( defective copies ) or manufacturing errors ( defective copies )
- Ramsch : Remaining editions pressed into the market at a reduced price by publishers - to empty the warehouse, reduce storage costs or to clean the market for a new edition.
- Special editions : Low-priced new editions of older books, mostly out of print, which are reissued especially for this market segment, as well as discounted editions of particularly successful titles, for which demand is to be boosted again. The fixed price applies to them. Special editions usually get a new cover , a new ISBN and are often offered with a reference to the reduced retail price. Various publishers have specialized in special editions (e.g. Nikol Verlag ) and for this purpose acquire licenses for older titles from other publishers . Some large publishing houses have introduced a special imprint for MA titles in order to keep high and low priced titles separate for retailers and customers as part of their pricing policy (e.g. Evergreen at Taschen or Coventgarden at Dorling Kindersley ). The circulation in this market segment is above average; Paper and print quality are of secondary importance for reasons of cost.
MA titles are sold through catalog mailers ( Zweiausendeins , Weltbild / Jokers ), online bookstores, specialized MA booksellers (such as the Weltbild, Jokers and Wohlthat'sche branches of DBH and Zweiausendeins), department store bookshops , but also increasingly at discounters . In the normal retail book trade , MA titles are usually sold separately as a special offer, e.g. B. set up in the entrance area. On the one hand, the separate installation increases the advertising effect and, on the other hand, it is intended to avoid a reduction in the value of the remaining range of products.
The modern antiquarian bookshop's share of sales has been increasing since around 2001. While it was constant at around 3% before, it has since become an important “second market” with a high share of sales for dealers and publishers.
- Modern second-hand bookshop . ( Memento of the original from September 29, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. buchmarkt College - education portal for the book industry
- bookcrossers.de ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF, 232 kB) p. 26