Ott and Stein
Ott + Stein is a design office founded in Berlin in 1978 . The founders were Bernard Stein (* 1949) and Nicolaus Ott (* 1947).
Work and creation
Ott and Stein mainly design typographic signets , book covers and posters for Berlin cultural institutions such as the Berlin State Museums . Together they completed teaching assignments at the HdK Berlin and at the comprehensive university in Kassel . From 1998 they held a joint professorship at the Kassel Art College in the Visual Communication course . You are a member of the Kassel School of Poster Art, Book and Magazine Graphics and have been a member of the Alliance Graphique Internationale since 1997 .
Corresponding to postmodern architecture, they loosened up the reduced grid design of the Ulm School and Swiss graphic design ( Josef Müller-Brockmann , Otl Aicher ) and playfully combined it with the influences of the New Objectivity poster ( Lucian Bernhard , Ludwig Hohlwein ) and Art Déco ( AM Cassandre ).
- 2016: Nicolaus Ott typographic images, Werkbundgalerie Berlin
- 2008: Graphic Design Ott + Stein, Art Library Berlin, SMB
- 2002: Poster from Berlin, ddd Galerie, Osaka
- 1997: Architecture posters, Aedes Gallery, Berlin
- 1996: Architecture posters , Stilwerk , Hamburg
- 1994: Ott + Stein, German Poster Museum, Essen
- 1993: Ott + Stein, Museum for Arts and Crafts, Hamburg
- 1992: International Design Center, Berlin
- 1989: Ott + Stein posters, Atelier Hubert Riedel , East Berlin
- 1985: Schumacher-Gebler, Munich
- 1983: International Design Center, Berlin
- Nicolaus Ott, Bernard Stein, Ulf Erdmann Ziegler: From word to image and back. Ernst and Son, Berlin 1991, ISBN 978-3-433-02346-4 .
- Friedrich Friedl, Nicolaus Ott, Bernard Stein (Eds.): Typography - when ?, who ?, how? Könemann, Cologne 1998, ISBN 978-3-89508-473-7 .
- Nils Jockel, Kristin Freireiss: Ott + Stein. Architecture poster. Poster architecture. Stilwerk, Hamburg 1996.
- Anita Kühnel (ed.): Nicolaus Ott + Bernard Stein: Graphic design. Staatliche Museen Preußischer Kulturbesitz, Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-88609-615-2 .
- Website by Ott and Stein
- Class Ott + Stein - visual communication on the website of the Kunsthochschule Kassel
- taz of March 25, 2008