Philipp Weiss (writer)
life and work
Philipp Weiss studied German , philosophy and German as a foreign language at the University of Vienna. As a master's thesis he wrote a deconstructivist essay on Peter Handke's Desireless Unhappiness for Wolfgang Müller-Funk . After graduation, in 2008, he taught at Baku University , Azerbaijan . He currently lives and works in Vienna.
Weiss took part in the Ingeborg Bachmann Prize 2009 with his text Blätterliebe and surprised everyone by eating a sheet of his text at the end of the reading.
In 2010, his piece Soap Bubble Opera: A Critique of Roundly Reason was presented at the workshop days at the Burgtheater Vienna . In 2011 he won the Hans Gratzer scholarship with his play Allerwelt and a world premiere at the Schauspielhaus (Vienna) , where he was in-house author in the 2013/14 season.
In January 2013 his story Tartaglia was published by Edition Atelier (Vienna).
In September 2018 his debut novel Am Weltenrand the people sit and laugh was published by Suhrkamp Verlag (Berlin). The 1,056 pages were published as five volumes in a slipcase, but are a cohesive novel. Before it was published, it was awarded the 2018 Jürgen Ponto Foundation Literature Prize, followed by the Klaus-Michael Kühne Prize and the Rauris Literature Prize .
In October 2019, his play The Last Man will be premiered in Nestroyhof Hamakom , which deals with the future of humanity in various scenarios.
- Tartaglia , narrative, Edition Atelier 2013, ISBN 978-3-902498-75-5
- At the edge of the world people sit and laugh (novel), with illustrations by Raffaela Schöbitz, Suhrkamp-Verlag, Berlin (September) 2018, ISBN 978-3-518-42817-7 ; Review by Christoph Schröder in Deutschlandfunk Book of the Week of December 2, 2018
- The Last Man (play)
- A beautiful rabbit is usually the single person (play)
- Allerwelt (play)
- Soap Bubble Opera. A Critique of Rounded Reason (play)
- Egon. A piece of art (play, Passagen Verlag 2008) (TB 2003 ISBN 978-3-85165-804-0 ).
- 2006 Hermann Lenz Scholarship
- 2006 Luaga & Losna playwright scholarship
- 2007 3rd Litarena Literature Prize
- 2008/2009 Austrian State Scholarship for Literature
- 2011 winner of piece / for / piece 2011
- 2011 Hans Gratzer scholarship
- 2011 and 2012 Austrian Dramatic Scholarship
- 2013 Theodor Körner Prize
- 2018 Literature Prize from the Jürgen Ponto Foundation for At the Edge of the World, people sit and laugh
- 2018 Klaus-Michael Kühne Prize for At the edge of the world, people sit and laugh
- 2019 Rauris Literature Prize for At the Edge of the World, people sit and laugh
- The limits of the biographical body: on Peter Handke's "Desireless Ungluck" . Diploma thesis, University of Vienna. 2008, urn : nbn: at: at-ubw: 1-30351.45224.815665-8 .
- Christoph Schröder: "Drang nach Originalität" , review in Deutschlandfunk from December 2, 2018, accessed December 2, 2018
- Performance rights at Suhrkamp Verlag, Berlin
- "Crazy Smart, Evil and Funny". In: boersenblatt.net. September 19, 2018. Retrieved September 19, 2018 .
- orf.at: Rauris Literature Prize for Philipp Weiss . Article dated February 5, 2019, accessed February 6, 2019.
- Literature by and about Philipp Weiss in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of the author
- Short biography and reviews of works by Philipp Weiss at perlentaucher.de
- Text sample from manuscripts 170 (PDF file; 320 kB)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||White, Philip; White, Phillip; White, Phillipp|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian writer and playwright|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th February 1982|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|