|Properties of human protein|
|Mass / length primary structure||267 amino acids; 29.4 kDa|
|Gene names||; LPH; MSH; ACTH; CLIP; NPP; POC|
Proopiomelanocortin ( POMC ) is a protein and prohormone that is produced in the corticotropic cells of the adenohypophysis and also in the hypothalamus , placenta and epithelia . By Convertases the prohormone is post-translationally in more than ten active peptide hormones processed .
Structure and processing
The prohormone is split into different peptide hormones in a tissue-specific manner :
- Adrenocorticotropin (ACTH)
- Corticotropin-like intermediate peptide (CLIP)
- Melanocyte-stimulating hormones (MSH): α-MSH, β-MSH and γ-MSH
- γ-lipotropin (γ-LPH)
These hormones play a role in pain, energy homeostasis, body weight, stimulation of melanocytes , regulation of hunger and sexuality.
Mutations in this gene have been linked to certain types of early obesity, adrenal insufficiency, and red hair color.
- UniProt P01189
- Manuela Zingl: Risk marker for the development of obesity. Charité , press release from September 28, 2016 at Informationsdienst Wissenschaft (idw-online.de), accessed on September 30, 2016.
- Eight genes color hair red . In: Aerzteblatt . December 14, 2018.