Rudolf Smend (theologian, 1851)
Rudolf Smend comes from the old Smend family of lawyers and theologians who served as pastor in the Reformed community of Lengerich in Westphalia for three generations in a row in the 18th and 19th centuries . His brother was the theologian Julius Smend . Smend's son, also called Rudolf , became an important constitutional and canon lawyer; his son, who also has the first name Rudolf , became an Old Testament student again.
After graduating from Münster in 1869 , Rudolf Smend studied theology and Semitic languages at the Universities of Göttingen, Berlin and Bonn, where he received his doctorate on January 28, 1874 in the Philosophical Faculty with a dissertation on Arabic poetry. In 1875 he received his doctorate in theology from the University of Halle . and got his habilitation . In 1880 he was appointed associate professor for the Old Testament at the University of Basel . From 1881 he became a full professor there. In 1889 Smend returned to the University of Göttingen as a full professor of biblical sciences and Semitic languages . There he met again with his teacher Julius Wellhausen , from whom he was greatly influenced and whose source separation method he developed further. He has earned himself u. a. for his critical Pentateuch research .
- The prophet Ezekiel. 1880.
- Textbook of Old Testament Religious History. 2nd Edition. Freiburg i. Br. U. a. 1899.
- The wisdom of Jesus Sirach. Hebrew and German. With a Hebrew glossary. Berlin 1906.
- The sources of the Hexateuch's narrative are examined. Berlin 1912.
- Friedrich Wilhelm Graf : In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 24, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-428-11205-0 , p. 509 ( ).
- Klaus-Gunther Wesseling: Smend, Rudolf. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 10, Bautz, Herzberg 1995, ISBN 3-88309-062-X , Sp. 652-655.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Old Testament scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 5, 1851|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lengerich|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 27, 1913|
|Place of death||Ballenstedt|