Rudolf von Roth
Walter Rudolf Roth , from 1872 von Roth , (also Walter Rudolph Roth ; born April 3, 1821 in Stuttgart , † June 23, 1895 in Tübingen ) was a German Indologist and religious scholar .
Rudolf von Roth studied in Tübingen (with Heinrich Ewald ), Berlin and Paris (under Eugène Burnouf ) as well as in London, where he collected the material for his work on the oldest Sanskrit literature in the manuscript collection of the East India House , completed his habilitation in Tübingen in 1845 and became There he was appointed associate professor in 1848 and full professor for the Indian branch of the oriental languages in 1856 and additionally as senior librarian of the university library. His program of the connection between Indology and the general history of religion became the hallmark of the Tübingen chair. Since 1852 he was a foreign member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences . In 1861 he became a member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences . He is considered to be one of the founders of modern Veda research . One of his most outstanding achievements is certainly his collaboration on Böhtlingk's monumental, epoch-making Petersburg dictionary (PW, 7 vols., 1855–1875).
In 1872 he was awarded the Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the Württemberg Crown , which was associated with the personal title of nobility. In 1891 he received the commentary cross of this order.
As a student he became a member of the Tübingen royal society Roigel .
- On the literature and history of the Weda. Three papers [habilitation]. Stuttgart: Liesching 1846.
- with William Dwight Whitney (Ed.): Atharvavedasamhita. Berlin: Dümmler 1856.
- Small fonts. Edited by Konrad Meisig. Stuttgart: Steiner 1994 ( Glasenapp Foundation 36), ISBN 3-515-06346-3 .
- Hermann Oldenberg : Veda research . Stuttgart, Berlin 1905, p. 5 ff.
- Heinrich von Stietencron : attraction and charisma. The work of Rudolf von Roth. In: Heidrun Brückner [u. a.] (Ed.): India research in times of change. Analysis and documents on Indology and religious studies in Tübingen. Tübingen: Attempto 2003, ISBN 3-89308-345-6 , pp. 77-90
- Ernst Windisch: History of Sanskrit Philology and Indian Classical Studies. 1st, 2nd part as well as postponed chapters of the 3rd part . Berlin, New York 1992, ISBN 3-11-013013-0 , Chapter 35 (p. 254 ff.)
- Gabriele Zeller (arrangement): Rudolf von Roth: 1821 - 1895. The wide world brought to Tübingen. Texts and materials from an exhibition on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of death ... from June 23 to August 15, 1995. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz 1996, ISBN 3-447-03789-X .
- Gabriele Zeller: 20 years word for word. Rudolf von Roth's great Sanskrit dictionary project. In: Anke te Heesen u. a. (Ed.): Vocabulary. Collecting and Finding Words , Universitätsstadt Tübingen, Tübingen 2008 (Tübingen Catalogs, Volume 81), pp. 36–47, ISBN 978-3-910090-85-9 .
- Rüdiger Schmitt: Roth, Walther Rudolph von. In: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 22, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-428-11203-2 , p. 109 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Klaus-Gunther Wesseling: ROTH, Rudolf. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 24, Bautz, Nordhausen 2005, ISBN 3-88309-247-9 , Sp. 1232-1242.
- Richard Garbe: Roth, Rudolph von . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 53, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1907, pp. 549-564.
- ↑ See: Ulrich Nanko: On the history of the chair for Indology and Comparative Religious Studies at the University of Tübingen (1848-1945). In: Heidrun Brückner [u. a.] (Ed.): India research in times of change. Analysis and documents on Indology and religious studies in Tübingen. Tübingen: Attempto 2003, ISBN 3-89308-345-6 , p. 66 ff.
- ^ Court and State Handbook of the Kingdom of Württemberg 1877, p. 29
- Literature by and about Rudolf von Roth in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Rudolf von Roth in the German Digital Library
|SURNAME||Roth, Rudolf von|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Roth, Walter Rudolph|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Indologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 3, 1821|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stuttgart|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 23, 1895|
|Place of death||Tübingen|