Grinding machines are originally hand or foot driven tools for smoothing surfaces or for removing coatings from surfaces. Later the machines got a steam drive . Nowadays they are mostly operated with electrical energy or with compressed air .
Depending on the material - wood , concrete , natural stone , glass , metal or plastic - and its hardness , grinding wheels made of different carriers and with abrasives are used according to the area of application.
There are hand-held machines such as:
- Belt sander and vario sander
- Angle grinder
- Orbital sander (also eccentric sander and delta sander )
- Disc sander
- Stone hand grinder
- Single disc grinding machines
- Three-disc grinding machines
- Belt grinders
- Wide belt sanding machines (are used in woodworking and have a rotating sanding belt)
- Long belt sanders
- Edge sanding machines (are used for edge sanding wooden workpieces)
- Wall grinders
- Surface grinding machines (grinding of flat surfaces)
- Cylindrical grinding machines (processing of cylindrical workpieces or for grinding out hollow bodies)
- Center grinding machines
- Thread grinding machines
- Gear grinding machines
- Profile grinding machines
- Cut-off machines (cutting of bars and tubes)
- Jig grinding machines
- Spindle grinding machines
- Multi-spindle grinding machines
- Stone grinding machines
- Stator grinding machines (e.g. for grinding turbine housings)
- Tool grinding machines. These are mostly operated fully automatically. They are used for sharpening of drills , knife blades , milling and turning tools running.
The highest form of automation is the grinding machine with measuring control , whereby measurements are taken at regular intervals and the grinding process is adjusted accordingly. The measurement can be carried out scanned or selectively. In addition, the grinding wheel is brushed and turned during grinding.
For grinding machines used commercially in Germany, an annual safety check according to accident prevention regulations (according to the guidelines of the employers' liability insurance association) in conjunction with the VDE regulations is required. Wearing protective goggles during commercial operation is a prerequisite for proper operation.
- Grinding machine for drill cones (self-made)