St. Fiden is a district in the east of the city of St. Gallen . The present city quarter was a village of the municipality Tablat until its incorporation into the city of St. Gallen in 1918. The quarter shares a neighborhood association with the neighboring Neudorf quarter.
Public transport and traffic routes
The St. Gallen St. Fiden train station is located on the northern border of the district . Some of the tracks and the old goods sheds are located in the area of the St. Gallen- Heiligkreuz district . The station building itself, however, is in the quarter. The station offers connections to the city center of St. Gallen and in the direction of Rorschach and Romanshorn on 5 S-Bahn lines . The motorway connection St. Gallen St. Fiden of the A1 is located immediately west of the train station and the motorway separates the district and the train station.
St. Fiden is located on one of St. Gallen's main traffic arteries, Rorschacher Strasse, and is therefore very well served by public transport: trolleybus routes 1 and 2 , bus routes 7, 8, 9 and 11 of the city of St. Gallen and the public transport system the post bus lines 120, 121, 210, 211, 240, 241 and 242 all serve the area.
Public institutions and district development
In St. Fiden, the Cantonal Hospital St. Gallen and the Children's Hospital St. Gallen in Eastern Switzerland are two of the most important health centers in the Canton of St. Gallen, with the Cantonal Hospital undergoing a general renovation from 2016 to 2021. After the project has been completed, the children's hospital will also be integrated into the cantonal hospital. In the immediate vicinity of the cantonal hospital there is another important facility of the regional medical infrastructure, the blood donation center of the SRC .
There are 2 primary school buildings in the neighborhood: the Grossacker school building on Flurhofstrasse with 400 students and 5 associated kindergartens and, near the St. Fiden train station, the Krontal school building with 150 students in 3 kindergarten and 6 primary school classes.
The oldest day care center in the city of St. Gallen, the 'Tempelacker', has also been located in the area since 1890, which now houses a daycare center, a children's dormitory and a post for physiotherapy and occupational therapy.
The quarter is also home to the only soap museum in Switzerland, which has been in St. Fiden since 2015 and is the only museum in the quarter.
Around the St. Fiden train station, to the north ( Heiligkreuz district ) and south in St. Fiden, are some of the last large building land reserves in the city of St. Gallen. In December 2017 a concept for the development of the area was presented, whereby construction is not expected to start before 2022.
Architecturally remarkable is the Grossacker shopping center, a landmark of St. Fiden, with its silvery facades and the oval, so-called 'silver tower', which were considered very futuristic when it opened in 1975 and which still characterize the quarter today.
The two shelters at the St. Fiden bus stop (westward) represent an architectural curiosity, which was built in 1983 as one of his first works by the Spanish-Swiss Santiago Calatrava .
There are only a few historical buildings in the quarter. Near the 18th century church of St. Fiden is the 17th century 'Schlössli' St. Fiden on Greithstrasse, which was renovated in 2014 and is on the list of cultural assets of the
Canton of St. Gallen is listed.
- Super User: 11. St. Fiden-Neudorf. Accessed December 12, 2017 (Swiss Standard German).
- New building 07A, 07B and OKS | Cantonal Hospital St.Gallen. (No longer available online.) Archived from the original on December 1, 2017 ; accessed on November 27, 2017 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Foundation blood donation SRK Ostschweiz: Start. Retrieved December 12, 2017 .
- Grossacker Primary School. Retrieved December 12, 2017 .
- Krontal. Retrieved December 12, 2017 .
- Ingo Hilpert: Tempelacker. Retrieved December 12, 2017 .
- St. Galler Tagblatt AG, Switzerland: More space for the soaps . In: St.Galler Tagblatt . ( tagblatt.ch [accessed December 12, 2017]).
- St. Galler Tagblatt AG, Switzerland: How St.Fiden should look in the future . In: St.Galler Tagblatt . ( tagblatt.ch [accessed December 12, 2017]).
- St. Galler Tagblatt AG, Switzerland: Visit to the space station . In: St.Galler Tagblatt . ( archive.org [accessed December 1, 2017]).
- St. Galler Tagblatt AG, Switzerland: Calatrava's declaration of love . In: St.Galler Tagblatt . ( tagblatt.ch [accessed December 12, 2017]).
- St. Galler Nachrichten: Schlössli St.Fiden in new splendor. Retrieved December 12, 2017 .
- Inventory of buildingsprotecting. Retrieved December 12, 2017 .