Born Sybille Edith Overhoff, twin sister of the archaeologist Elfriede Knauer , she studied classical archeology , ancient history , art history and ethnology at the University of Frankfurt and the University of Munich and specialized in Etruscology. In 1950 she received her doctorate in Frankfurt under Guido Kaschnitz von Weinberg . From 1951 until his death in 1994 she was married to Denys Haynes , head of the Greco-Roman department of the British Museum in London .
The archaeologist worked as a voluntary curator at the museum for 25 years . She set up the Etruscan collection there. Haynes has lived in Oxford since 1985 . For her longstanding commitment, she was accepted as a member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE).
Haynes published a large number of scientific, popular scientific and also fictional writings on the history and culture of the Etruscans . She is a corresponding member of the German Archaeological Institute . She translated several of her own English-language books as well as works by other authors into German.
- Contributions to the study of post-classical Etruscan bronze hand mirrors , dissertation Frankfurt 1950
- Greek painting (with Martin Robertson ). Skira, Geneva 1959.
- Etruscan Sculpture . British Museum, London 1971, ISBN 0-7141-1234-8 .
- Etruscan bronze utensils . British Museum, London 1974, ISBN 978-0714112442 .
Land of the Chimaera. Archaeological Excursion in the South-West of Turkey . Chatto, 1974, ISBN 0-7011-2005-3 .
German translation: Between Meander and Taurus. An archaeological journey in Asia Minor . Prestel, Munich 1977, ISBN 3-7913-0379-1 .
The Augur's Daughter. From the life of the Etruscans . von Zabern, Mainz 1981, ISBN 3-8053-0463-3 ( Cultural History of the Ancient World . Vol. 9).
New edition: The Etruscan Woman . von Zabern, Mainz 2008, ISBN 978-3-8053-3867-7 .
- Etruscan bronzes . Sotheby's Pubns., London 1986, ISBN 0-85667-195-9 .
- Etruscan Civilization. A cultural history . British Museum Press, London 2000, ISBN 0-7141-2228-9 .
- Cultural history of the Etruscans . von Zabern, Mainz 2005, ISBN 3-8053-3381-1 ( Cultural history of the ancient world . Vol. 108).
- Philip Perkins, Judith Swaddling (Eds.): Etruscan by Definition. Papers in Honor of Sybille Haynes , British Museum, London 2009 ISBN 978-0861591732 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Overhoff, Sybille Edith (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German-British Etruscanologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 3, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Leverkusen|